Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM and McAfee: Are they good together or is there a better combination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daveplaysbass

daveplaysbass

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

Hello,

Wow. This room really saved me. My son got into one of the Antivirus malware scams and I was panicking for a bit. But I was able to remove it thanks to the help of this board and the Malwarebytes product. I was thinking about buying two copies for our two computers. Both of these computers have the McAfee Security Center which is free from Comcast. This suite includes SecurityCenter, VirusScan, and Personal Firewall. Would any of these running in the background conflict with the Malwarebytes' Anit Malware Full Version product? This is the second time I have had a machine catch a nasty malware infection while McAfee stood by and watched. Am I expecting too much from McAfee? Is there a better suite of antivirus and malware tools? I get a bit confused with the terms antivirus, malware, and spyware. It seems these are all kind of the same thing?

Thanks,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jackbrennan

jackbrennan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:21 AM

I have Mbam pro and it works flawlessly beside my antivirus suite (Nod 32, which i consider to be the best). Mbam uses very little system resources althogh it is recommended to exclude the main Mbam system files from your A/V's realtime scanner. This is a list i got from the Mbam forums; just add these files to the mcafee exclusion list and your good to go:

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
* C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
* C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
* C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

You should also consider updating your Windows Hosts file - Check out this pinned topic here in these forums: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123980/mvps-hosts-file-update/

Edited by jackbrennan, 13 March 2010 - 03:26 AM.

Australia by birth, Norway by marriage.

#3 daveplaysbass

daveplaysbass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

I just found out that Comcast will not longer support McAfee as of May 1st. They are switching to Norton. Any thoughts on how the latest lineup of Comcast tools work at keeping the puters safe. Here's the lastest offerings from Comcast:

http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=33_230

http://www.comcast.net/toolbar3/

I am frustrated by the fact my work computer and my home computer have been attached by malicious web sites with the antivirus scams and in both cases McAfee was useless. The work machine was worked on by our IT department and they gave up on it. Knowing what I know now, I think that the Malwarebytes program may have been able to fix the work machine.

I guess I am trying to figure out if I will be protected going with the new Norton and Toolbar 3 tools I am already paying for with my Comcast service. Or should I just ditch them and go with something like the NOD32 suite with the full version of MBAM. I hate to spend money I don't need to spend, but I am starting to question the protection provided by at least McAfee. I used to think that I was fairly safe and a practicer of safe internet. And it seems like Norton gets a bad rap.

#4 jackbrennan

jackbrennan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

I personally do not like Norton and consider it an inferior product, but i'm sure alot of people here will disagree. I however think Eset Nod 32 smart security is a fantastic piece of software and because of that i do not mind paying the yearly fee. It is possible to download a 30 day trial if you wish to try it out. Otherwise i would recommended Avira Antivirus (Free) as the next best thing. Couple up one of those Antivirus suites with Mbam pro resident protection and Ip filter and you are pretty well protected. Do keep in mind though that it is impossible to be 100% secure.

Additional security measure you can take are hte following:

1. Download and install Super antispyware (Free) and use the on demand scanner: http://www.superantispyware.com/
2. Download and update hte windows Hosts file: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123980/mvps-hosts-file-update/
3. You can always download and immunize your system with Spybot S&D although this program is getting a bit dated: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html
Australia by birth, Norway by marriage.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combination for your particular system.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

Edited by quietman7, 14 March 2010 - 10:03 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users