Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest facebook Koobface variant...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:47 AM

I have been approached by a number of coworkers who have fallen victim to the latest koobface variant circulating on facebook.
those who have made attempts to remove it have failed, this includes several who have PAID "techs" to attempt the removal.
Is there anything known to stop and remove this latest variant that i can pass along to the unfortunate?

more information as i can get it.
Thanks

Edited by BNDAZ, 13 March 2010 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Schoelman

Schoelman

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

several of my friends have also been 'infected' with this worm. more info:

subject gets an email from within a social network site (facebook...hence koobface, myspace, or any of the others), from a friend they know, inviting them to watch a video.... either on youtube or facebook video are the ones i've been invited to, however the link obviously doesn't take them to youtube, it takes them to something like www.34232432ueriwo.youtube.342432.com so to some people it looks legit...when subject gets there, it asks you to download a 'flash update' or a 'video codec'. kazaaaaam! subject is now infected. people with norton have told me that norton pops up and stops them downloading it.... people with mcafee haven't had the same luck... and have been infected.

the person i know with mcafee said she updated mcafee, removed the virus, and is 'all=set' but, today i'm getting more video invite emails from her...

anyone know a surefire method of getting rid of this sucker yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users