Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro OS system failure to boot and no option to repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gracefullyme

gracefullyme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

So my HP zv6000 won't boot up. Here's what I attempted

When it first occurred I tried booting in safe mode, but the Windows Advanced Option menu failed to appear (repeatedly pressed F8) and my computer shut down after a minute or two. I accessed BIOS and tested my hard drive and it passed. Instead of immediately trying to repair using XP OS repair/install CD, I downloaded Knoppix so that I could at least try to access and save my data before I risked losing it in the repair (yes I know, I should have backed up, but I didn't so I'm paying the price now).

I changed the boot order to boot from a CD first, but Knoppix didn't work (I burned it on a Mac which didn't give me an option to write it as an image... so I don't know if it did or didn't (that might be the issue with Knoppix not booting, but I'm not sure). The weird thing is that with the Knoppix CD and with my boot order changed to CD first, I was able to access the Windows Advanced Option menu with F8... but without any CD in the drive I can't- even a blank CD will allow access to the menu, but w/o a CD, nothing... weird.
But even though I could access the menu, none of the options worked (Last Known Good Configuration, etc.). When I tried safe mode for XP Pro, the screen prompted the following for several minutes before shutting down:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL

So I decided to try to attempt a repair through the XP OS CD, but no option to repair was available, only the options to do a fresh install and create/delete partition were available.

So what are my options? I'm not super computer savvy so I definitely don't want to try to disconnect the hard drive and do a fresh install on a new hard drive in order to recover my data. Should I try Knoppix again making sure it is written as an image? Or is there another live boot CD I should try? Should I attempt the Recovery Console? If so what should I do? fixmbr? bootcfg? I've been reading different tutorials on Recovery Console and they all had different processes. I read somewhere that bootcfg might fix the error of XP OS not being found when trying to repair the install.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Or even some insight to what is going on with my laptop, so that my search for repair and recovery is more focused. I just don't want to lose my data...

Thanks,
Grace

Oh I have service pack 2, if that helps the process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

What happened to your computer any viruses or blue screens?

#3 gracefullyme

gracefullyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

I have no idea why it crashed... I was out of town and when I returned it just wouldn't boot up.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

Usually, when you can see it rolling by some files and then it hangs during the boot (like in Safe Mode), it is not the last thing you see on the screen, but what comes after it.

What usually comes after KDCOM.DLL is BOOTVID.DLL which is the generic XP2 display driver, so we start thinking something to do with video. At least you have some video, so that is encouraging.

The file could need replacing, there could be a malfunctioning file system, something gone haywire during you repair attempt - too many variables!

Is there a power interruption, aborted restart or ungraceful shutdown in the picture here?

Create an XP Recovery Console CD and let's start with that.

When you have the afflicted system running RC, you should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder, so then run:

chkdsk /r

Here are some instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Somebody else can maybe help with how to copy your "stuff" off to a USB thumb drive or something using Knoppix.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users