Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shwiconxp9106.exe *32 - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hello:

Computer illiterate and newbie to the forum here.

Got a Black Screen today and, in researching it, found a process running in TM I don't recognize -- not sure if they are related.

New Dell PC running Win7 Ultimate (64) has been quite stable since purchase ~1 month ago. Everything is fully patched, and all routine daily scans with MBAM Pro, SuperAS and McAfee are clean. BIOS and drivers are the most current ones listed for my system at the Dell support site (though I know there is a more recent video driver at the ATI site for this GPU). I am a very safe computer user and do no P2P or gaming. I do not have a wireless network or home group set up. I run CCleaner regularly to clear temp files, and Smart Defrag ~weekly to defrag only.

Today I experienced a Black Screen (no stop codes, no error messages) when I stepped away from it for ~30 minutes. Had to reboot from power switch on tower.
The only app open was MS Word 2007 with an open document (which was recoverable upon restarting the application).
There has been no suspicious behavior otherwise to suggest malware infection.
Event viewer showed nothing, either.
I had made no changes to my custom power plan (screen saver on in 10 min; display off in 30 min; computer off never) -- I am configured this way to maintain USB connectivity to my UPS so that its software can do a managed shutdown in the event of a power outage.
The only other significant processes running resident are the McAfee active protection, Carbonite, and Mailwasher Pro 6.5.3 (which polls for emails every 10 min).
All of these have been running fine on my other 2 systems (Vista Ult 32 and Win7 Pro 32).

When I pulled up the task manager after rebooting, I saw the following process: shwiconXP9106.exe *32 "icon utility" listed.
I tried to look it up at ProcessLibrary.com and came up with nothing.
Google search wasn't overly revealing, either.

What is this process?
I assume it's a "friendly", not some sort of malware, and that it can be left running, and that it did not contribute to today's inexplicable black screen???

Please advise and TY in advance for your expert advice,

MM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

I assume it's a "friendly",

If you didn't download it, it's not friendly
Do you have any third party icon programs?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

Please help.
Would sure appreciate advice as to how to proceed.

MM

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hi, again:

Well, sorry for the trouble, but it seems this was a false alarm.
After a screen-share session with Dell, it turns out that this is a legitimate file associated with the program that runs the multi-media card reader on the computer.
But it wasn't entirely obvious without a little digging and the tech had already gotten calls about this...

IOW, it had been loading at startup all along, but I hadn't noticed until today.
I had been really spooked to find it in TM on my Win7 64 desktop and NOT in TM on my Win7 32 laptop -- led me to suspect it was a rogue file, since only the one Win 7 computer was running it.
Of course, the innocent explanation was that the laptop doesn't have the multi-media card reader device.
<Doh!>
I've removed the process from the startup list in the system configuration, since I don't need it to load at startup. :huh:
Voila!

As for the Black Screen, we determined it to be an unrelated problem relating to the MYRIAD issues with Win 7 and power management (many of which are holdovers from Vista). TMALSS, it relates to "Ready Boost" (aka "Ready Boot" in Vista), and it's a known issue. LOTS of dialogue at the MS fora about this and related issues. All known to Redmond, I am told. IOW, there should be a fix eventually (patch or SP1). In the interim, there is some sort of workaround involving forcing ReadyBoost to "save" its files not to the HDD but to a USB flash drive. Scheduled a call back from Dell for next week to try it out.

Again, thanks for your time and trouble. :huh:
Sorry for the false alarm,

MM

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Glad everything is working
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users