Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop takes 7-10 mins to boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ebonienicole

ebonienicole

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Startup takes forever and it takes even longer for my browsers to open.

You guys did an amazing job helping me fix my laptop troubles :thumbsup: I'm following the information in my other thread, but the information posted there is for help with my laptop running on Vista. The problem I'm having now is with my desktop running on XP Home. I attached an autorun.txt and posted some SpeedFan stats for starters.

1.50 GB of RAM
OS C Properties: 15.6 GB of Used Space
21.5 GB OF Free Space

SpeedFan
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $E000
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=LPC47m172
Sensor's Base Address : $06C0
Scanning Intel SMBus at $E000...
LM85B (ID=$62) found on SMBus at $2E
Found WDC WD400EB-11CPF0 on AdvSMART
End of detection

CPU 48C
Internal Temp 43C
Remote Temp 43C

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Take a look at the Logon tab of Autoruns (not the view you took a picture of, which lists everything).

Post the items listed on the Logon tab of Autoruns as beginning at boot. You can use the Print Screen key of your keyboard...to take a picture and post that in lieu of typing everything.

Upload the graphic as an attachment.

To create and post a screenshot:

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows clipboard.

Press Alt-Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows clipboard.

Open MS Paint (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint).

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, then save the new Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember. JPG files take up less hard disk space than BMP files and are just as readable. There is a file size limitation for uploading attachments to posts here.

Make as many screenshots as you need to get a decent graphic which viewers can easily see.

If you have a graphics editor of any type installed, you should use it in lieu of MS Paint to adjust the size of the graphic and change the format to .jpg.

Louis

#3 ebonienicole

ebonienicole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Guys, I became a little discouraged the last time I decided to take a stab at this desktop computer...so here I am again in an attempt to fix this darn thing! Instead of making a new post, I searched and bumped this one.

Here's some information that may help you all help me!

I attached an updated autoruns.txt file, and hamluis, I took a uploaded a screenshot of the Logon tab as well (view attachments)

In the meantime, I'm going to uninstall Norton and install Avira and Avast Free Antivirus. This helped clean my laptop tremendously (see my other post) so I figured I'd do the same for this desktop. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

That first entry...looks as if it might be or have been troublesome.

From looking at my system...that should be an entry for explorer.exe...I don't know what logon.exe is/was...but I would delete that entry.

You seem to have a number of entries as startups which I would disable/remove. Basically, anything that has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows, AV program, firewall, or jave...don't run on my system.

Real...McAfee anything...Quick Time...iTunes...there's no reason for these programs to have startups....particularly so, in the case of Mc Afee, since you have Avira installed as your AV program of choice.

Of the startup items you reflect...I would only allow Avira to remain on the startup list reflected on the Logon tab of Autoruns.

You have a questionable program, CyberDefender, installed that I would uninstall and not replace with a like program.

You have a McAfee Scan program installed that I would remove. This program now seems to install itself automatically when users install certain other programs.

I would uninstall the Real programs from the system, as my experience with Real anything...has been unpleasant.

I would try a few changes and see if the system runs better. If so, I would try more of my suggestions.

In general, I would be a lot more careful...about what is running on my system, including installed toolbars/browser add-ons.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users