Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

requesting Advice on How to "Repaint" Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hello,

Have been experiencing a problem with the keys on both of my college kids laptop computers.

For some reason (oily fingers?), after only a year of use, the painted-on letters & symbols on some of the keys for both laptops have completely rubbed off.

I bought a small white-paint drawing pen at an arts & crafts store and redrew the missing letters and symbols, but they simply rubbed back off again after only two months.

Any suggestions at what else I could try? For example, would it be safe for me to again redraw the mising info with the white-paint pen and then lightly spray or brush the keys with a clear cover coat paint? Or would I be better off trying to use some sort of stick-on lettering instead?

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Replacement stickers

http://www.4keyboard.com/replacement-engli...cker-p-290.html
http://www.datacal.com/c-61-alphanumeric-l...CFSJ25Qod5QLtTw
http://www.thekeyboardcompany.com/keyboard...CFUFM5QodxDySUQ
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

I would not recommend stick on letters they would just become ripped off and you would be back at the drawing board.
look here
there is someone that suggests paint and then clear nail polish, i think that would be better than spraying something.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

Ebay Stores + $20-$30 = New keyboard
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

HI,

Have been busy for a bit, so was not able to reply back right away.

Thanks for everyon'e advice.

I think I'll try the cheapest method first - repainting the missing keyboard key letters by hand, letting them dry, and then using some clear nail polish to protect them.

If that fails, I will then go the more expensive route of having the keyboards replaced (I don't feel confident enough to do that myself).

Thanks again.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users