Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Keep Icons Showing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

I experienced a weird problem while working on my daughter's Windows 7 laptop last night.

The little area in the bottom right-hand of the screen (forget what it's called) normally shows little icons of the main programs that are loaded and running in the background. This had been set to always show the icons for our antivirus and antispyware programs, even if they did not have active notifications to display.

Well, those icons were showing just fine beforehand, but then started acting up after I'd uninstalled the free versions of Adaware and Spybot, plus then installed the free version of SpywareBlaster and a paid copy of the antispyware add-on extensions for McAfee Enterprise VirusScan 8.7i.

I kept trying to change the icon preferences for the McAfee icon to always show up no matter what, but every time I rebotted the computer, it would go back to being a hidden icon. Changing the preferences to having ALL icons show up all the time does work, but that is a bit of an overkill.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could fix this minor icon display problem?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

it might be a setting in the program that overrides the windows command to always show, i would check the settings in that one program that you want to show.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Once in a while I have to re-select the preferences for my system tray icons too. They get confused sometimes, especially if I have been tinkering, installing software or some such activity.

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

Good News,

Just came across a technical bulletin from McAfee dated 03/10/10 saying that a recent update to the enterprise version (which I'm legally able to also use at home) of their antivirus program version 8.7i now causes the little McAfee shield icon to disappear from the system tray right after their antivirus program loads. They said it has something to do with minimizing the number of running tasks, but seems pretty dumb to me.

Well, at least I now know that I did not accidentally mess up my family's laptops when upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users