Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Startup Repair Unsuccessful. NOW what?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 drjlo

drjlo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Home Premium.
The day before, my Dell froze completely while transferring files to an external USB drive. Only way to restart the computer was complete power off, even battery. After that, Dell worked as normal the rest of the day. Turned off the computer as usual at night.

Next day, Dell would not boot and Windows would not load, just hanging.
Found the Bleepingcomputer tutorial on "How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair" and followed the Steps. Below is what I could write down during the process:

----------------------------------------------
Restart your computer to complete the repairs
To restart, click finish
If repairs were successful, windows will start correctly
If repairs were not successful, Startup Repair might run again to continue fixing your computer

Finish
Checking File System on C:
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
CHKDSK is verifying files
0 bad file records processed
CHKDSK is verifying indexes
Deleting index entry redir.exe
Deleting index entry schedsvc.dll
Deleting index entry tzres.dll
Deleting index entry netbios.sys
Deleting index entry usbport.inf_loc
Deleting index entry ScardSvr.dll.mui

CHKDSK is recovering lost files
Recovering orphaned file redir.exe
Recovering orphaned file Schedsvc.dll
Recovering orphaned file Netbios.sys
Recovering orphaned file Usbport.inf_loc
Recovering orphaned file ScardSvr.dll.mui

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors
Windows has finished checking disk

(C Microsoft Corporation)

Checking File System on C:
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
CHKDSK is verifying files
0 bad file records processed
CHKDSK is verifying indexes

CHKDSK is recovering lost files
same
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors
same
Windows has finished checking disk
(C Microsoft corporation)
(BLACK SCREEN)
Windows Error Recovery
Windows failed to start.
Insert Windows OS disk..
OR
Start In:
Safety Mode…
Start Regularly
(C Microsoft Corporation)
(BLACK SCREEN)

--------------------------------------

Basically, Dell went through two cyles of CHKDSK but ended up giving me the "Windows Error Recovery" page. No offers of advanced recovery tools.
I went through this one more time, and exact same steps and notifications were given. At the end, at Windows Error Recovery page, it will not boot in Safety Mode OR Regular mode. With both ways, computer keeps giving the "In progress" Bar then goes to completely Black Screen. Nothing further happens and No activity. For more than an hour. If I manually push on power to turn off and power up, it goes through the whole process over.

Any ideas?
Any way to avoid Clean Reinstall and lose all my files and saved accounts, Firefox favorites, etc?

BTW. I did try "System Restore" once. I'm not sure if my Vista had System Restore enabled, as I never touchd it since getting the computer. Anyway, it just told me "System Restore Wizard is already running," and wouldn't let me do anything with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users