Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Loopback Adapter causing a firewall-like effect


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BLooDCalibuR

BLooDCalibuR

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Whenever I try to use/enable my Microsoft Loopback Adapter it causes a "firewall-like" effect, meaning no one can connect to my ventrilo server (which is run on my computer) except for myself as well as other things that normally would require port forwarding to be able to share with such as hosting on games. When I have it off/disabled, everyone can join, such as join my hosted games.

My biggest confusion is that this was working fine just two days ago. I'm using a Linksys router (model BEFSR41) and haven't had problems in many many years concerning port forwarding or hosting on games or hosting a server (ventrilo, etc.). My port forwarding seems to be correct since when I have the Microsoft Loopback Adapter disabled everything works fine. I'm also obviously using Static IP settings on my Local Area Network (aka the main one thats used to connect to the internet) to allow my port forwarding to work properly. Microsoft Loopback Adapter was working fine before, but ever since I changed my external IP Address (you know, the typical way of changing your MAC address on your router settings and then doing a power cycle to get a new IP Address) and updated the IP Address settings in the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, it would cause a firewall like effect and now allow connections to my computer. The internet/browsers work fine of course and I'm the only one who can connect to my ventrilo server or my own hosted games.

The reason why I NEED to use the Microsoft Loopback Adapter is because it's required by one of the hosting bots I use to host my games on Warcraft 3 so that it stops me from being booted off my own host at the beginning of the game. Like I said, everything works fine ever since I changed my IP Address.

So far I've tried the following things:

Flushed the DNS
Repaired
Released
Erased all the IP settings for both Local Area Network and Microsoft Loopback Adapter
Uninstalled Microsoft Loopback Adapter and Reinstalled it
Power Cycled many times in between those

If anyone knows what could be wrong, or if I must've not tried something, I'd appreciate a well detailed response, thank you.

I'm using a Windows XP Pro operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

I've never worked with this particular software so I'm not 100% sure but logic dictates that since it doesn't work when its running and works when its not, there is something wrong in the software. You uninstalled/installed it so its prolly not a corrupt install so my guess is its a setting. Make sure IP addresses are correctly typed in. Periods and not commas.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College


#3 BLooDCalibuR

BLooDCalibuR
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

I've never worked with this particular software so I'm not 100% sure but logic dictates that since it doesn't work when its running and works when its not, there is something wrong in the software. You uninstalled/installed it so its prolly not a corrupt install so my guess is its a setting. Make sure IP addresses are correctly typed in. Periods and not commas.


Yes, I would be damned if I ever make a careless mistake like that lol. Believe me I've checked many many many many times. I've worked on this problem for several hours now. If anyone has any more ideas or troubleshooting ideas tell me.

Yes I'm pretty sure it's some sort of setting problem too, but I don't know where. As I've said I've tried flushing the DNS and uninstalled/reinstalled as well as cleared the IP Addresses and settings in the TCP/IP properties several times as well. I've also redone them several times and still the same way.

Edited by BLooDCalibuR, 12 March 2010 - 05:03 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users