Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Services

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105 with WinXP SP3 Home ed. I have MSE for an AV program, and run MBAM on a weekly basis. i have alot of processes running and i cant figure out what most of them are. the list below, I know a few of them. But for instance the svchost.exe. I know its a Service Host. thats all i know about it, and i have no idea why so many are running at one time. I have labeled the ones i know what they are.

EDIT: CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO REFLECT MY FINDINGS. IF IT SAYS AUTO OR MANUAL NEXT TO IT, THATS WHAT IT CAN BE SET TO. ???= I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A SOLUTION. O have also deleted the service hosts (svchost.exe) from this list, as the number and purpose of these will vary from system to system depending on programs and usage.

wuauclt.exe---Windows Automatic Update Service-switching to manual will SHUT OFF AUTO UPDATE.
alg.exe=Application Layer Gateway Service-MANUAL
THotkey.exe---ATi HotKey Poller---Controls the hotkeys on my notebook, such as screen brightness, sleep mode, etc. MANUAL
SynTPLpr.exe---Synaptics TouchPad Driver helper, required for touchpad to work-AUTO
RTHDCPL.exe---Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager-AUTO
explorer.exe---Windows Explorer-AUTO
taskmgr.exe---Task Manager-I set it to manual, so I can run it buy pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.
ati2evxx.exe---Part of the ATI video driver that allows you to specify hotkeys to change various display settings-MANUAL
wimprvse.exe---WMI Performance Adapter-MANUAL (thanks Stang777)
acs.exe---Part of the Atheros 802.11b/g WiFi connectivity driver-AUTO
spoolsv.exe---???
ULCDRSvr.exe---This program is part of the Ulead DVD Workshop-MANUAL
TAPPSRV.exe---Related to Toshiba Laptops, Unsure about its function at this time-AUTO
swupdtmr.exe---Toshiba Software Updater-MANUAL
MsMpEng.exe---Something to do with MSE
tcpsvcs.exe---Simple TCP/IP services-Auto
ati2evexx.exe---???
lsass.exe---???
services.exe---???
winlogon.exe---???
csrss.exe---???
svchost.exe---???
msseces.exe---Microsoft Security Essentials
smss.exe---???
RAMASST.exe---???
svchost.exe---???
jqs.exe---???
DVDRAMSV.exe---???

Help? LOL I am :thumbsup: over this. I have never seen a computer run this many processes at one time when it appears to be doing nothing more than sitting on my desk! LOL.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

PS, i got this computer from my dad who got his replacement in, its a decent laptop for me to use while I am deployed. my good one is at home :flowers:

Edited by ArmyofOne, 12 March 2010 - 04:50 PM.

KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Services should be left alone, unless you're a computer pro and you know EXACTLY what you're doing.
Your list looks rather normal.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

Services should be left alone, unless you're a computer pro and you know EXACTLY what you're doing.
Your list looks rather normal.

Im not a computer pro...per se. but I am not illiterate by any means. I was just curious why so many duplicate service hosts seem to be running. in addition to that, it just seems to big for just XP. neither my vista or win7 pc's run nearly this much at once.
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Disabling XP Services - http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1829414,00.asp

How To Determine what Services are Running in WinXP - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/services.htm

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

List of Windows XP Services and Descriptions - http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/List-of-W...d-Descriptions/

Services Guide for Windows XP, Elder Geek - http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Windows XP SP 3 Service Configurations (Black Viper) - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Louis

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Multiple instances of svchost.exe are normal.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Even though having multiple instances of svchost running is normal, you have a lot more running than I do. You have 11, I have 5. I have gone through and disabled all unnessary services so that may be why.

You can go to start>run and then type services.msc to bring up the services and go through that to find out what processes are loaded automatically and if they are not needed by you, you can change it to manual start or even disable it. Change the view to detail and then you can easily see what the startup type is currently set to. Make sure before you change anything that you read the description of what the service does and look at what is listed on the dependencies tab to see what other services may depend on that service. The page at the following link can give some guidelines on what the startup type on all the different services should be set to...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

You can read through all the info on that page, there is a lot that is informative, but the services list is at the bottom of it.

If I am not mistaken, a program called Process Explorer can show you what services are using all those svchosts, but I don't have a link to it. To me, if all the unnecessary services stopped then it doesn't really matter what the svchosts left running are for as they are necessary.

Edited by Stang777, 12 March 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#7 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

Disabling XP Services - http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1829414,00.asp

How To Determine what Services are Running in WinXP - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/services.htm

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

List of Windows XP Services and Descriptions - http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/List-of-W...d-Descriptions/

Services Guide for Windows XP, Elder Geek - http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Windows XP SP 3 Service Configurations (Black Viper) - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Louis

I did try searching but couldnt find an explanation as to what all these services mean. I understand they are probably running for a reason, but I dont have that many programs on this computer. my dad did for his business but i uninstalled most of them.

Thanks all for the info. I will share my findings in a while and report back with the solution so that it will be in the search archives.

BTW, hamlius, how is killeen? I am in the process of trying to get orders to PCS (perm. change of station) to Ft. Hood when I return from Iraq. Its 2 hrs from Fort Worth, and Fort Worth is home. :thumbsup:
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I will list all the running processes that you have and do not know what they are and tell you what they are and if they should be running on startup....

wuauclt.exe - Auto update for Windows. If you use auto updates then let this one load on startup.

alg.exe - "Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall." This can be disabled if you are not using Internet Connection Sharing or the built-in Windows firewall. If you already have those disabled and that is still running, it is probably malware.

THotkey.exe - Associated with the Fn+ keys on Toshiba laptops. When disabled some keys still worked, like the one that regulates the volume of the system beep, but others didn't, like the one that immediately blackens your screen Up to you if it loads on startup

SynTPLpr.exe - Synaptics touchpad driver helper. Required for touchpad features to work so let this one load on startup.

RTHDCPL.exe - Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager. Is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work.

ATI External Event Utility EXE Module. This task can comsume lots of CPU resournces on some computers, but it can help with graphics card problems. Leave enabled unless it consumes too many CPU resources. Up to you if it loads on startup
wimprvse.exe - I am asusming that was a typo and you meant wimprvse.exe, if so, it is for Windows Management Instrumentation. However, it is not Windows Management Instrumentation in services that has that running, instead it is the WMI Performance Adapter that has that running. I have that one set to manual startup.

acs.exe - Part of the Atheros 802.11b/g WiFi connectivity driver and is required to run on startup if you use this. If that is not on your system, then it could be malware.

ULCDRSvr.exe - This program is part of the Ulead DVD Workshop, and may be bundled with other products from this company. If it is not for that, then it could be malware, otherwise it should be left alone in order to guarantee the stable operation of these products. This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work

TAPPSRV.exe - Related to Toshiba laptops. Unsure as to what its function is.

swupdtmr.exe - Software updater for Toshiba laptops. Not needed at startup.

MsMpEng.exe - Is for Microsoft Windows Defender Antispyware.

tcpsvcs.exe - Part of Microsoft Windows networking components. This essential system process is initiated when the computer uses special TCP/IP networking services such as DHCP, Simple TCP and print services. Info I found says it should not be disabled however it is not running on my system and I do not what controls it as I could not easily find it in services.

ati2evexx.exe - ati2evxx.exe is a process installed alongside ATI Display Adapters and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

lsass.exe - is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC. Even though it can be malware, in this case it probably is not and should not be disabled

services.exe - Part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the computers boot-up and the stopping of services during shut-down. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

winlogon.exe - Is a process belonging to the Windows login manager. It handles the login and logout procedures on your system. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated

csrss.exe - The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server and is necessary to have running

smss.exe - Part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is called the Session Manager Subsystem and is responsible for handling sessions on your system. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

RAMASST.exe - Optionally installed with some DVD drives (LG, Panasonic, etc). Disables Windows XP's CD-burning abilities because they cause some incompatibilities. It does not affect your ability to burn CDs. If you do not have this program running, you may have some compatibility issues with burnt DVDs

jqs.exe - Java Quick Starter, improves the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. Not necessary to have load on startup, it is up to you.

DVDRAMSV.exe - Matsubleepa DVD-Ram driver. This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work.

I believe that covers them all.

Edited by Stang777, 12 March 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

alg.exe is a required service that needs to be running. Windows Update needs to be running to manually update windows. If it is disabled Windows Automatic Update will fail as well as Manually Selecting it from the start menu.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

I do not have alg.exe running on my system

#11 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

I do not have alg.exe running on my system

Stang777,

Thanks, you did was i was doing, but you did it faster. I DL'ed process explorer, and fiddled around a little bit. but i was afraid to change much in there as it looks pretty complex.
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users