Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP screen goes blank after wanting to start in safemode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 fogde

fogde

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

I have Windows XP and a Dell Dimension E521 I have been trying remove Antimale Defender from my computer. First i could not remove it with Malwarebytes because it would not let me open the program or start the computer in any three of the safe modes I have scanned with McAfee and it removed trojans virus but the Antimale Defender was still there. I was able to remove some trojans with Spybot as well. I also was able to remove some virus's with SuperAntiSpyware. The last thing i did using SuperAntiSpyware was select to restart in Safemode through the SuperAntiSpyware program. Now my computer goes to a blank screen when i restart. If try any of the safe modes it loads the drivers and stops at Windows\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooldude10

cooldude10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Try Spybot Avast! and AdAware they are freeware antivirus programs

#3 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

That would be great but my computer will not start. How would you suggest that i get my computer to boot so i can download the program.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Try Spybot Avast! and AdAware they are freeware antivirus programs

Avast is an AV
Spybot and AdAware are anti-malware tools

I am moving this topic to Am I Infected

Please be patient

Edited by garmanma, 12 March 2010 - 01:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

welcome.gif to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum
, My name is Elise. I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.

Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen.
  • Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic.
  • The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.

In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem.

OK this file is big Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Two programs to download

First

ISOBurner this will allow you to burn OTLPE ISO to a cd and make it bootable. Just install the program, from there on in it is fairly automatic. Instructions

Second
  • Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Use Safelist
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

I created the disk and tried booting from disk but my but message " Windows did not start succesfully. A recent hardware or sofware change might have caused this and gives the the options for the Safe modes and last good configuration. If i do the safe modes it list the drivers down to system/32 mup.sys and than stalls. If i let it continue by itself or last known good configuration it goes to a black screen. The last change i made to my computer before this starting happening was with the SuperAntivirus Spyware program. With that program i chose the selection to start in safe mode since then it will not let me start my computer. I believe the only way to fix this will be change the registry values so it doesn't boot in safe mode using the SuperAntispyware program. I have a windows xp reinstallation disk so i can run repair but i do not know how to change the registry. My computer previously was messed up with the Microsoft update KB977165 that might not be the right number but the update cause a lot of computer not to restart. The windows cd was able to fix this by following the directions at social.microsoft

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:56 AM

From your description I understand you weren't able to boot succesfully from the CD.

See here on how to boot from a CD.

Edited by elise025, 14 March 2010 - 06:56 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:11 AM

I tried changing the boot sequence to boot from cd first and it goes to the screen saying we apoligize for the inconvenience, but windows.... and gives me the safe mode starting options i also tried the f12 and going to boot menu and choosing onboard cd-rom drives. i still can not get it to boot

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

The key to bring up the Boot menu may also be F5 or F11, just use your F keys in trial/error method to see which one brings up the boot menu.

regards, Elise

#10 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Elise it is not letting boot the disk you had me make. It will let me but my windows recovery disk. From there i can push "R" and go into repair. If i type bootcfg /list this appears
[1] " Windows XP Media Center Edition"
OS Load Options: /noexecute=optin 'fastdetect /safeboot:network
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

i believe i need to get the safeboot:network off there because my compter will not let me start. Do you now how to modify the startup registery using the windows xp recovery disk

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

Please use the steps here to rebuild the boot.ini file.

If there is any part you don't understand, please ask me smile.gif

Afterwards boot normally and let me know if it worked.

regards, Elise

#12 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

It better now i can see the Windows Xp Startup page and now i can log in. But i did i now have a choice of two operating systems to start both named the same if i choose the top one it will load but my mouse or keyboard doesn't work if choose the second it goes back to the black screen. i have the day of from work today so i will be able to work with you step by step on this sorry i've been at work all week and thought the steps might have been easier

#13 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

sorry premature it is taking i little longer for it load the mouse and the keyboard to work but still need help

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Is it possible you tried to do a repair install at some point? This could cause this kind of problem.

Are you able to run applications in the one that works? I ask this so I know if we can attempt to run some tools now.

regards, Elise

#15 fogde

fogde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

the one that works i can connect to the internet it still has the Antimalware Defender on the system. I used a another program to try and remove before the black screen problem started it has error message RUNDLL error loading C:\WINDOWS\system3224adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ffb40f8687f_24.ave the specified module could not be found

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users