Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Scan Indicates Potentially Unwanted Program: “Corrupt-EP.” Help.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Don100

Don100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

A pre-scheduled scan of my pc was conducted today. It returned an indication that I have a “Potentially Unwanted Program.” The item name is Corrupt-EP. McAfee indicated the status is “Detected.” In the Details panel of the Scan Results (under “Items”), McAfee shows the following path: Fine Name: C:\Users\Don\Desktop\456\Dell\drivers\R200272/00010001.dir. Also in the Details panel a link is provided for me to learn more about Corrupt-EP. Clicking on that link brought me to a McAfee webpage (http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=248985) which was not very helpful. It said that the risk assessment is N/A, date discovered was 12/16/2009, type is Program, and DAT Required is 5834.

As background, I recently had Dell try to recover some files that I had accidentally deleted (and they were not in the Recycle Bin.) They installed a number of programs in this attempt, operating my pc remotely. They were only able to retrieve a small number of files. At the conclusions of Dell’s efforts, they uninstalled all of the programs that they used in this process. This is the first McAfee scan conducted since Dell’s efforts.

Using Windows Explorer, I tried to view the path indicated above. I could not find “456” in the described path. I seem to recall that the Dell technician working on my problem did create a folder labeled “456” on my desktop during her efforts. It is not visible now on the desktop, either.

McAfee Security Center provides me with two choices regarding handling Corrupt-EP: (1) Remove or (2) Trust. My assumption is that this program is related to Dell’s recent activity on my pc. I’m a bit skittish, however, as I recently lost some files, so I would like some advice before I click the “Remove” option. (Yes, I had my critical files backed up on an external hard drive.)
Here is the info about my pc: Dell Studio XPS 435MT desktop; Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz; 8 GB RAM; 64-bit; Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 2.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users