Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Reboots when USB device gets plugged in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cycle

cycle

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with WinXP SP2 installed. I tried to connect a Western Digital external hard drive thru the USB ports and the computer will reboot. I've tried several of the USB ports. It all does the same thing. I then tried a Cruzer 16GB Thumb drive and it also reboots the computer.
WHen the computer reboots it states that the system has recovered from a serious error. I can check the details and it shows the error signature and a bunch on numbers. I was going to do a screen shot but I can't get it on a different device to post. However, if someone thinks it would really help I can figure out another way to post.
The computer came to me a week ago because it was infected with spyware and virus'. The person purchased Symantec Internet Security Suite 2010. I then installed and it cleaned up his computer and now says no problems. Every thing else about the computer seems to be working okay.

Any suggestions, please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

You've uninstalled the USB controllers, not hubs/devices, (using Device Manager) and then reinstalled same by rebooting?

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Upgrade to SP3 to see if this resolves your issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users