Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

My screen occasionally freezes and I have to press the restart button. It happens quite irregularly. It might be OK for a few days and then freeze three or four times in a few hours. I ran a checkdisck 5 days ago and it's been a little better since then, but it still happened twice in one morning. It usually happens when I'm using quite a bit or RAM, but I've got 4GB which should be more than enough for what I'm doing.

Here's the hardware I'm using:

Processor - Intel E4400 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit Processor Extension Socket: 775
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 256 PCIe
Hard Drive 1 - Hitachi 320GB
Hard Drive 2 - Western Digital 500GB
Hard Drive 3 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive 4 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB
DVD Drive - Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM AD-7170S
RAM - Kingston 4GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin
Floppy Drive - Alps Electric
Monitor - Dell E153FPf 15" Flatscreen

Please can someone suggest something I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

lol, i signed up here, cuz i have the same problem

i built myself a new computer 2 weeks ago with windows 7 64bit and since then i have these freezes

i noticed that i get those restarts/freezes alot when watching videos over stream, but today i got a freeze when playing call of duty.

i thought i could be the codecs or graphicdrivers, but i have the latest (k-lite codec pack 64 version 10.something and ati catalyst 2010.0202.2335.42270)

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Gene
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1600mhz
Graphiccard: ATI 4890 oc

I had win7 before on my old pc and never had problems with it....but on my old one i regulated the graphiccard (mhz and gpu-fan) and cpufan manually.
On my new pc i have everything on auto, maybe it has something to do with that...im no expert...or maybe its the power pack that isnt strong enough (have one with 620W)

Edited by Barackenkaempfer, 12 March 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

What is the power supply model number?

Is your video card factory overclocked or by you?

Have you tried removing Catalyst Control Center?

I had the issue you are experiencing with a previously owned ATI 800 XE PE, and I just threw the card away and got an nVidia card, and no more issues.

#4 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

Cooler Master Real Power M620 (RS-620-ASAA-A1)

my videocard is factory overclocked

removing catalyst? no, i thought u need it in order to run the drivers probably, loaded the drivers from guru3d.com and there is always a control center within the driversetup.exe...but ill try that, if its possible

im glad i bought the ati only until nvidia releases their 300cards

#5 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

well i tried it out, have now only drivers since yesterday everything was fine, but then 2 minutes ago i watched something over stream and there it goes again...freezed and forced me to restart -.-

#6 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

can nobody help me??? it frozed again few minutes ago when i tried to boot, a friend of mine uses ati too and has similar problems, he has 5770 and has also win 7 64 bit

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Who made your ATI Card? Your power supply isn't even on the list of recommended cards, so your card is either not getting enough power or its dying.

Edited by cryptodan, 16 March 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#8 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:49 AM

my ati card is from Powercolor, i have the oc edition which is already overclocked by them
sorry but what do you mean by "my power supply isnt even on the list of recommended cards"?
where did u find that list where u can see whether a graphiccard is compatible with a power supply?

i thought it has enough power cuz i can play games for hours and i guess streams dont need more power than games like battlefield bad company 2 with max settings...

btw yesterday i had only 1 freeze during playing battlefield so since i uninstalled the catalyst control center it was getting better but maybe i was just lucky

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

What is the exact model number of your video card? Download this: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1761e/GPU-Z.0.3.9.exe

#10 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

well lets drop it, i have the latest drivers and for now im not gettin any more freezes, guess its a driverproblem and ill have to wait for the next release

#11 Barackenkaempfer

Barackenkaempfer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:04 AM

my biggest guess were its the ram but i ran win7 ram diagnostic tool 3 times and it shows no error report after it finished so i seriously have no idea whats goin on

btw ill post the solution when i have found it, my last move was to increase the temporary internet files folder from 50mb to 200mb

Edited by Barackenkaempfer, 21 March 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#12 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

What happened to the original poster Joebeaven?

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

What happened to the original poster Joebeaven?

That's what I was wondering. :huh: This is the problem we have occasionally with topic-hijacking. People see somebody with the same problem, and start posting in that topic. Before you know it, the original poster is forgotten. It happens.

The best thing to do in this case would be to wait out the original poster's topic (not posting in it yet if you have the same problem), to see if a solution is reached. If that solution works (may not always), post in that topic to let other people know it works, too. If it does not work, create your own topic. The problem/solution could be totally different even if the symptoms appear similar.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

I'm still here, but I've realised I've got problems with two of my hard drives which are now causing various problems. I've sent for replacements and I'll make an update when they're installed.

#15 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

Everything's fine now. Obviously it was down to faulty hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users