Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck At Windows Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jay521

jay521

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hello, My old computer (Gateway 614GE) with Windows XP is having problems.
I had it in storage and decided to work on fixing it. The problem is, whenever I try to boot the system up, it gets stuck at the Windows XP logo loading screen.
I wouldnt mind formating the pc to start off with a clean slate, but i dont have the original windows Xp disk around.
I tried safe mode (it shows all this text (multi (0) Disk (0) rdisk (0) ect... repeatedly and at the end of that it says "press esc to cancel loading sptd.sys"
i let it load once, no luck, i pressed esc the second time, no luck...

I tried booting with last known good configuration, and still nothing...

I tried going into Amibios to boot sequence so i can boot from the CD Drive, it gives me the options
1.CD/DVD-0:GCR-8483B
2.IDE-0:ST3200021A
3.BBS-0 (Network): Intel UNDI, PXE-2.p (build 082
4.USB RMD-FDD: Generic USB SD R eader

i tried the first too and it still gets stuck at the loading screen.

any help would do would be appreciated.

this is my studio computer. i need this running in about a month, buying a new computer is not an option right now, because i have this m-audio box that discontinued making drivers for vista <...
i would like to use this pc for as long as i can

thanks!

Edited by jay521, 12 March 2010 - 03:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

Try a system restore/recovery, using the techniques devised by Gateway.

That should enable you to determine if it's a hardware situation or an O/S situation.

Louis

#3 jay521

jay521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

Try a system restore/recovery, using the techniques devised by Gateway.

That should enable you to determine if it's a hardware situation or an O/S situation.

Louis

Hello! Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it.

I can't access system restore/recovery because I am unable to access the start menu (or even log into the computer) im stuck at the loading screen before the computer can access my account. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

You have a Gateway system...are there no disks for it?

A recovery partition?

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medi...MLXPH2asi.shtml

Have you read your owner's manual...to see if there are repair options available which Gateway installed?

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/600GxSeries/4410nv.shtml

Louis

#5 jay521

jay521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

i had the disks for the computer but i lost it due to moving to a different household.
i cant create and iso or cd/dvd because i need to access the start menu, which i can't access...
and for system recovery i need to insert the System Restore CD which in this case i dont have...
any other suggestions?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Well...you can try to get replacement disks from Gateway...

Or you can try to find a second system to create an XP Recovery Console CD...and then try running the chkdsk /r command.

<<...i need this running in about a month...>>

Seems to give you plenty of time to try either of the above...or both.

Louis

#7 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

I think it would be best if you could buy or borrow and external c drive with a USB and hook it up to your lap topo.

The external drive should have windows XP on it. Then boot from the external drive and, possibly, copy all the data files from you lap top to the external drive. \

Then get a new drive for your laptop, its a simple plug in at the bottom of your computer. Put in the new one and transfer the data from the external drive to the laptop. You could either reinstall XP on the laptop drive, or keep the external drive as your main drive to boot from. Good luck

44 guy

#8 jay521

jay521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

Or you can try to find a second system to create an XP Recovery Console CD...and then try running the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

thats another problem tho, i dont know whats wrong with the bios, i insert a cd and try to boot from the cd drive but it doesnt give me the option...

I think it would be best if you could buy or borrow and external c drive with a USB and hook it up to your lap topo.

The external drive should have windows XP on it. Then boot from the external drive and, possibly, copy all the data files from you lap top to the external drive. \

Then get a new drive for your laptop, its a simple plug in at the bottom of your computer. Put in the new one and transfer the data from the external drive to the laptop. You could either reinstall XP on the laptop drive, or keep the external drive as your main drive to boot from. Good luck

44 guy

im not to concerned about the files on my computer, i just want it re-installed or formated.
i need help with that

#9 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Louis

thats another problem tho, i dont know whats wrong with the bios, i insert a cd and try to boot from the cd drive but it doesnt give me the option...

44 guy

im not to concerned about the files on my computer, i just want it re-installed or formated.
i need help with that

#10 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

If you are not concerned about the files on your computer, then what is the problem? Just wipe the present disk clean, get yourself a Windows CD and install it. Problem done. Why are you agonizing over your present disk which is no doubt highly infected with viruses. Only wiping it clean, reformatting it and installing a new operating system will solve your problem.

I think you are more a "tinkerer" than anything else, or you would have done this long ago!

44 guy

#11 jay521

jay521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

If you are not concerned about the files on your computer, then what is the problem? Just wipe the present disk clean, get yourself a Windows CD and install it. Problem done. Why are you agonizing over your present disk which is no doubt highly infected with viruses. Only wiping it clean, reformatting it and installing a new operating system will solve your problem.

I think you are more a "tinkerer" than anything else, or you would have done this long ago!

44 guy

the only windows disk i have is windows vista. i want this computer to remain at windows XP. i stated this problem before.

#12 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

44 guy

the only windows disk i have is windows vista. i want this computer to remain at windows XP. i stated this problem before.

Sorry, I missed that. Under the circumstances perhaps you should consider wiping the disk and switching to one of the new Linux operating systems, which are open source and basically free. The new linux is a pretty big improvement over the older versions, I am told. I an considering doing it also, because they are virtually virus free, and far, far better than that hopeless Vista you have, which is the worst thing that ever came out.

You can go to a book store and look for Linux magazines...many of them have the disk in the back of the magazine and you thus can get it for about $10. by simply purchasing the magazine.

Good luck. 44 guy

#13 jay521

jay521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the response. but i think imma take my hard drive out of the pc and and try access it from another windows xp computer. if possible imma try to format it on that pc =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users