Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i launch an application from my taskmanager whose process is already running

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:59 AM

I am using windows xp sp2

From the taskmanager how can i launch the application whose process is already running.

for example,

i am using "Search Everything" desktop search utility.
i can launch it from my desktop.
once i am finished using it, when i close the application , the process still runs and i am able to see it in taskmanager->processes by name "Everything.exe"

Now, suppose i want to again use the application, and i do not want to launch it from desktop icon, but want to start it from my taskmanager->processes, how can i do this...

Hope i made my question clear. if not dont hesitate to reply i will try to make it further clear.

in short the question could also be framed like this.

"how can i launch an application from my taskmanager whose process is already running"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Kill Everything.exe process first.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

Hi Broni,

i just understand that you have not properly understood the question.

i dont want to kill the process.. i just want to start the application from that process itself...

is there a way to do this....

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

I think I understand exactly what you are tying to do and if I do, you cannot do that. You cannot just launch an application from the process list. The only way to launch an application using Taskmanager is to click on File on the toolbar, select "New Task(Run...)" then type in the name of the program file that you want to launch.

Out of curiosity, why do you not want to use the icon on the desktop?

#5 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:12 AM

Stang!!!!

you got it exactly right what i was asking....

i am just a diferent thinker.

i could have done that. (launch from desktop).. but no...i do not want to ..

thanks anyhow for your time and responses...but if anyone else could help me out...you are all welcome

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:19 AM

You are welcome and I really do not believe there is any way for you to do what you want.

Instead of launching my programs from the desktop, which i usually have covered and am too lazy to uncover, and since I don't even want to use the show desktop thing, I just use the desktop toolbar and launch those things from it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

What Stang said.

Task Manager is not designed...for what you want to do. The fact that a user can END running processes by using it...does not imply that processes can be initated...via Task Manager.

It's not a strart/stop button.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users