Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Have Issues With Watts??? ...Between Power Supply & Battery Back-Ups?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hello. I have a question. I have a BFG power supply for my desktop that is rated at 800 Watts ATX 12V 2.2/ EPS 12V 2.91 [BFG model: BFGR800WPSU]. I have an APC Back-Ups power supply/battery backups that is rated at 450 Watts / 725 VA (the rating both for output power capacity & max. configurable power) [APC model: BE725BB]. Obviously, the desktops power supply cord is connected and drawing power from the power supply/battery backups for battery backup reasons. My 19 inch LCD monitor is also connected to this power supply/batter backups as well. My desktop computer has Intel Core 2 Quad processor, only 1 NVIDIA graphics card, 1 Creative X-Fi Sound Card, 6 other PCI cards installed, 2 DVD burner drives, 1 floppy drive, 5 hard drives, 5 internal fans + 1 CPU fan.

Now this is my concern: Do I have issues here concerning my Watts? ...even serious issues? I am not trained and know very little about electricity, but the Watts of my power supply/battery backups is almost half that needed for the Watts for my desktop power supply. Just tonight I have discovered this possible issue. I have been using this BFG power supply for a long time now and have had it plugged into this battery backup system for a long time as well. To date, I have not had any issues. The computer has run just fine. I may be overreacting or I may be NOT! Please comment and state facts about my situation if I do indeed have an issue. Also, if you have any solutions to an issue, please help me! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Do you have software and a serial/usb connector to do a graceful shutdown when the ups goes off?

The ups will pass whatever amps are requested by the PS when in normal (mains) mode. The power mismatch just means you need to adjust your estimate of how long your ups will keep the system running when the power goes off. In theory some people say an actual power draw mismatch will shorten the life of your UPS. Most computers don't draw their max rates amps unless they are using every available clock cycle killing zombies or spewing spam.

It will be shorter than the ups manual says.

I never connect a screen/monitor to the ups but that is just habit. Modern lcd/ccfl screens do a good standby/sleep and don't draw much power when running. But it will shave a few min off your UPS time.

So normal use the mismatch is irrelevant. In alarm mode it will draw down fast. A functioning server with a steady load will draw down even faster.

Remember any ups rated less then 2000VA is consumer electronics. This means minimal QA, and the only way to tell if it can exceed its VA rating is to see if it fails under normal use. That said, APC makes some pretty good stuff. I have several rackmount 20AMP 4U models and a couple of 1400w 2U rackmounts still working after 5 + years. I also have a pile of dead 450s that I have waiting for a free recycle day. The worked fine for several years in an office where sales droids plugged space heaters and coffee pots into them.

Yours is in the $20.00 replacement battery range. APC has units that are more closely sized for your estimated max draw, but unless you know what the actual amp draw in normal use is for your pc, you should be fine with what you have.

It is not a fire hazard but it ain't a high end production scaled piece of equipment either.

If you want to keep playing a game or serving torrents to the world when the power goes down, get a bigger one and move this one to your router and broadband device.

#3 montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Thank you for your response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users