Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking with an aircard as an internet source

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Ok, i have a USB AirCard (Franklin CDU-680) and a laptop (Vista/Ubuntu), a desktop(XP) (currently dead but will be fixed before long) and a(n) Xbox360 that I would like to connect to the internet. As of right now i can only connect the laptop via the AirCard (since the Desktop is dead and the 360 does not recognize the AirCard).

I would like to connect all wirelessly if at all possible and would like to use the Desktop as a gateway and then connect a wireless router to it to connect my Laptop and 360. i have been told that this is impossible by a couple of the local computer gurus but i can't see why. They say i need to buy a special router to connect my aircard to multiple devices but that even then the 360 wont recognize the aircard.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

If you bridge the AirCard connection with your Ethernet on the desktop I think it would work. The aircard is a cell modem not a wireless card so yeah the Xbox isn't going to connect to it. You could try it on the laptop. I'd try it with Vista only cause I'm not sure how to do it under Ubuntu( isn't it a great OS tho? I dual boot XP and Ub )

Just make the connection with the aircard, then go into the connections and bridge it with your ethernet. Connect the router to it, not sure if it would be the WAN/Internet port or just one of the four. Try both. lol You can always un-bridge the connection so it'll go back to normal. I'd not complicate the router with any security tho.

I am just guessing at this tho lol. Let me know how the experiment goes.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Look at Cradlepoint products. They have a wireless router that you can plug the usb air card into as the internet source.

Edited by Baltboy, 15 March 2010 - 04:05 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users