Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get my ports open for any game or programme

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thereallightningX

thereallightningX

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

Due to the the favorites bar web slice gallery option and a misclick, I have just lost a elogant message so I'm just going just say it straight out and take my word for it that I know about portforward.com and i have been hosting warcraft 3 since 2005 and in 2008 successfully setup on my own ListChecker. I also can't open my ports for utorrent. My sister alsos uses utorrent and some other progammes that need open ports and she has no problems so I can only assume that it is my PC.

I lost my hosting back in Nov. 2009 and have checked to see if I have overlooked some small aspect of anything that can hinder my hosting and everything as far as I can tell is setup correctly, also i have redone the portforward.com setup sets more than 5 times since than for both wc3 and utorrent.

I also have disabled Windows firewall and use Zonealarm and I believe I have setup Zonealarm properly as I have just recently though of the idea of zonealarm reseting itself somehow and hindering me without me knowing.

Here are the more-than-like random specs that I think you will need to know
O/S: Mircosoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
Language: English
Router Model: Linksys WRT54G

Hopefully with information, the forum users will be able to help me trouble shoot if not solve my problem outright.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I only know the things I know about computer is from screwing my pc up and paying a professional to fix it and tell me what I did wrong and how he fixed/troubleshot said problem(s). So don't assume I know everything or nothing at all about pc's.

Edited by thereallightningX, 11 March 2010 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

I'm sorry, I missed your question. What are you trying to do?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

I can't get any ports open on my router through my PC, I think.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Two biggest mistakes when port forwarding: 1) Wrong protocol forwarded 2) Wrong IP address

Problem 1) On the prot forwarding page there is a drop down that should have Both, TCP and UDP listed. Make sure you choose the correct one.

Problem 2) Open a command prompt type ipconfig. The one listed as IP Address is the one you want to forward to.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

Checked, they are already what you told me to change it to. No changes, still can't host in wc3.

Edited by thereallightningX, 16 March 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#6 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

This post is to bring this thread back to the front of the forum because the problem has not been solved.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

If you have entered the IP address 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of a browser and hit Enter, when the box pops up asking for a user name and password you entered the correct info to allow you to proceed, then went to the port forwarding page and entered in the correct IP address for the computer you wish to forward the ports to, entered the correct ports in the correct manner in which they needed to be entered for them to work properly then put a check mark at the end each line you entered, scrolled down to the bottom of the page and click Save or Save changes allowed it to refresh to make sure all was saved correctly and it is still not working then the problem lies elsewhere.

Might I suggest you search the web for a site to explain how to completely uninstall the version of ZoneAlarm you have installed. Then try again. Because ZA has a notorious reputation to take a fit and completely screw up a perfectly good connection. If uninstalling ZA does not correct the situation then please post back your results and we shall proceed from there. If it does solve your issue then you know.

#8 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

I've have done all that you have asked of me to the best of my abilities with no results.
Both WC3 and UTorrent cannot get through. I still beleive that it is a setting on my computer which is the cause of the problems because all the other computers use utorrent and WC3 "successfully".
To make sure that I unstalled properly, i have Copy/Pasted the guide that I used from filesharetalk.com (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-software-23/t-i-need-to-uninstall-zone-alarm-completely-269281)

The guide reads as follows:

Unless you have some other app that uses true vecror (unlikely, and you would know if you did; in fact I don't know of any other than ZA)), you can turn it off when you uninstall ZA. It is not a Windows service, it comes with ZA.

The easiest way to do a clean uninstall of ZA is as follows:
1. In ZA, uncheck load ZA at startup.
2. In start, programs, Zone Labs, right click on the uninstall icon, click properties. Change the Target line by adding a space and /clean at the end, so that it reads
"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean
(that assumes you installed ZA in its default location). click Apply, OK
3. Restart your PC
4. Uninstall ZA from start/programs/Zone Labs, uninstall Zone Alarm icon (not from add/remove).
5. Click yes on any warning messages (including shutting down true vector).

Use Windows Explorer and delete the following folders and their contents if they have not been deleted by the uninstall.
C:\Program files\Zone Labs
C:\Windows\Internet Logs (Please note that I, thereallightningX, did not delete this folder and have put it's contents into another folder within Internet Logs)
C:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs

That's it. Reinstall ZA if you want.

#9 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

This post is to bring this thread back to the front of the forum because the problem has not still been solved.

#10 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

Today, I thought up a new test to try to locate my problem. I went out and bought a Linksys Wireless N Router (WRT310N-CA) - Black (which btw, has the same/similar interface as my WRG54T, is why I bought it) and there was no change. the only difference was that my other computers could download slightly faster and that the wireless aspect was vastly inferior.

Just so it is clear, new router, no changes to my problem, yes I used portfoward.com and I triple checked the inputs.

I hope that this can narrow down the list of culprits.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

Just out of curiosity how do you know the ports are blocked?

Did you reinstall ZA?

Normally I wouldn't suggest this but: I'd run regedit and search for Zonealarm, if its uninstalled then deleting the registry entries will just be good cleanup. But be VERY VERY careful not to delete anything else. Messing about in the registry will cause you to have to install your OS again, Not fun.

Obviously something changed on your computer but I have no idea what that could be, anyone else?

#12 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

I believe I have done as you asked, but I'm not god-like when it comes to registries. i ran something called cpes_clean.exe (I'm running XP 32-bit btw) by accident and have attemped to read up on the extact areas any registries could be. Also, if you ready above, I posted the Instructions I used to "Completely" uninstall ZoneAlarm from my computer. It would also be worth mentioning that I was able to host fine when i installed ZoneAlarm.

#13 thereallightningX

thereallightningX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

I'm posting to bring my problem back to the front because it is still unresolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users