Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

My windows xp computer has a wireless chip and onboard ethernet, and my windows 2000 computer has a ethernet card. I want to use a ethernet cable to connect the windows 2000 comp to the windows xp comp, so that the windows 2000 comp will have internet. but its not working. both my comps say "network cable unplugged". any help?

Thanks

Edited by StickDude101, 11 March 2010 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Well...I think you need an ethernet crossover cable, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....p;x=14&y=34

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...crossover-cable

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

You want to use Internet Connection Sharing?

How are you getting your internet?

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

If you describe what you want to do, it might help.

If you want to share a connection there are many ways to do that. One of the ugliest is XP internet connection sharing.

What do you currently use to connect to the net? DSL? Cable? Are you hooked to your router via wireless and want to use the ethernet to add the 2k computer via ICS? Is the 2k box too far from the router to just plug the cable into it?

The best way would be to add a usb wireless dongle to the 2k box or an actual wireless pci card.

when new egg put the enuwi-g2 on sale for 7.00 I bought 3 of them to give away when people ask me how to add their desktop to their wireless network.
They are 15.00 each now.
They are not great cards for long distance but they are detected automatically in ubuntu and osx 10.5 on a hackintosh. Should work fine with a driver in 2k.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users