Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seen this before? Click the program you want to use to open.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

If you have seen this statement and are familiar with successfully navigating through it, your the person I'm looking for. Every now and then I get sand bagged by M$, and this is one of them, I down loaded some information about generators and was immediately asked to "click the program...", does anyone have a clue as to how to choose the appropriate program? This is a cool game, I just wish I had a copy of the rules.

I thought I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, it was a train.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

If you have seen this statement and are familiar with successfully navigating through it, your the person I'm looking for. Every now and then I get sand bagged by M$, and this is one of them, I down loaded some information about generators and was immediately asked to "click the program...", does anyone have a clue as to how to choose the appropriate program? This is a cool game, I just wish I had a copy of the rules.

I thought I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, it was a train.

It depends on what kind of file you downloaded. Check out the extension.

Sometimes if it asks you which file to open it with, you don't have the correct program to run the file. Other times, you can open a file in a text editor or notepad without needing the EXACT program.

Sometimes i download files that are supposed to be instructions, but i either have to add ".txt" on the name or "Open With.... notepad" to view them. Other times its an audio/video file my box doesn't recognize, but will still work in WMP or Winamp....

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

So basically it's a process of trial and error?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

So basically it's a process of trial and error?

Depends on what extension the file has....

If you don't recognize it as a video/audio file, you can always look it up on google or something and see what program you need....

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:07 AM

Would it be safe to assume that if it is downloaded from the internet that I should choose my browser as the program to open with?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:13 AM

Here is a great place to look up file extensions and the program with which to open them:

http://filext.com/index.php

I would be wary of simply downloading files from any site without some explanation of what you are downloading; most of the time, the site will tell you what to open it with.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users