Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan running, comp lagging at 40c

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Edward1978

Edward1978

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

I have a Compaq Pesario originally with a 3.04 single core Intel processor and 512mb ram, running XP with SP2. Over time the CPU fan began to run more frequently and the computer stalls. The worst of it was browsing simple sites like Ebay. Try to back out of a page, it would load in a matter of seconds, but sometimes I'd have to wait 5 minutes for the fan to back off before I could even move the mouse cursor. I don't have anything running in the background other than my anti-virus. Normally I could improve this condition by cleaning out the case and cleaning the heat sink, but still have a less severe problem or less frequent.

I upgraded to HP's recommended RAM and now have 2 gb installed with no difference. I recently upgraded the CPU to a 3.4 dual core, which was 1 step down from the maximum allowed by this motherboard. The problem seems to be worse. I open internet explorer and the fan starts running fast. I have 40 processes running and the CPU usage never goes above 80%. I downloaded a CPU temp monitor that shows the CPU to never get above 40c. Even typing this message without anything else running and on a fresh reboot, the fan is screaming away. The temp inside the case feels cool to the touch and the room temperature is 60 degrees. Again, simple browsing and after 15 minutes or so, I am so tired of waiting on the fan to back off before I can do anything to control the computer, I end up having to unplug the darn thing just to shut the computer off.

What should I be looking at here? I bought a new computer and installed the same software and actually a slower CPU and less RAM than this one is currently running with absolutely no problems. I ended up giving it away because I hated Vista so bad after a week of using. Thanks in advance for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

virus? maleware?

if your processor is screeming along something has to be processing or it isn't getting enough juice(power).
if you want to verify it isn't hardware try booting from a live cd and just running like that.
if it doesn't lock up you can eliminate a hardware failure.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

I realize you used programs that monitor the temperatures of your processor's core temp. and they appear to be normal.

You say you can hear the processor's fan screaming at some point which means it is doing its job.

The next thing we have to look at here is the fact while this is happening, your computer experiences a problem.

Which is most like related to power consumption or the fan its self. Does the fan make any unusual noises while it is spinning?

We have suspect the fan first, because it is the cheapest to replace.

Then we have to look at your power supply output rating and whether it can supply enough current to satisfy the demand.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users