Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD: 0x0000008E BIOS issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2liter

2liter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

While doing a clean install of Windows XP Home Ed, I got a BSOD near the end of the install:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Check for adequate disk space.
Check with the hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing...
STOP: 0x0000008E [0xc0000005, 0x805815B2, 0xF6642BAC, 0X00000000]

Phoenix Award BIOS v6 .00PG.
Biostar: vkq0223m
Internally, sticker says: D886 Bios, Phoenix 1998, 068936198, CS f209 ; Actual part reads: AMIC A290021T-70 1040T B9ko2

I went to Phoenix's Website and can not find what I need. I understand that flashing is risky and want to make sure that I perform an update correctly.

Let me know what other information you will need and how/where to obtain and I will post. I just can not access anything from an OS, only through DEL options at turn on.

Edited by 2liter, 11 March 2010 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

8E STOP errors/BSODs...can also be hardware problems.

On a clean install, that means RAM and hard drive as suspects, IMO.

Why the clean install? What problems prompted such?

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

Louis

#3 2liter

2liter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

I figured it out. You were right, it was a RAM issue. Clean install because it is an old system that needed wiped and upgrades... I have temporarily switched the RAM out and plan on replacing... I do have a question though.. It has a m7vkq Biostar motherboard which requires SDRam max 1 gb. Should I use two 512 or simply a 1 gb? Or does it really not make a difference?

Edited by 2liter, 13 March 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

On a board that old, I don't think it makes a difference.

On more recent boards, I think it makes a difference for those boards supporting dual/triple-channel RAM configurations.

Not pertinent, but some info on multi-channel RAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users