Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silent tribute

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Amen.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

We shall never forget....

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

If it were silent tribute....... should we be saying anything.....? sorry, too analytical....

A few days ago, i actually had someone ask me what was so special about sunday..... i almost punched him in the face......

9/11 will never be forgotten..... hopefully....

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:33 PM

A few days ago, i actually had someone ask me what was so special about sunday..... i almost punched him in the face......

Whether you believe in the conspiracy or think the terrorists did it. It should still be remembered. People still lost their lives

Kinda of late, but I still think its worth of having.

*moment of silence*

Edited by yano, 23 November 2005 - 04:34 PM.

#7 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

I know that i will never forget 9/11 and all of the people that lost there lives on that day!

#8 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

We should never forget all the people who so tragically lost their lives on 11 Setember 2001.

We should also remeber that 30,000 people die each day from preventable causes.

While our governments spend 100's of billions each year creating more weapons thousands of people are dying. Let's grieve for them too.

In many people's eyes, WE are the terrorists. Terrorists by proxy.

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

That viewpoint of american by-proxy support of our much publicized controversial dichotometric positions
within the structures of the world's population has been more widely held, it seems, of late.

With the twin edge axe of excedingly prolific press coverage, constant issuance of statements from and about the political process of capitalist democracy as practiced by the US, and freedom of speech ... coupled with
widely disparaging theocracy, special interests, actual enemies and competition in the marketplace ... all
about money and how it is spent ...

It's inevitable opinions will vary from nonchalant acceptance to emotionally charged suicide bombers when
non americans gather and opine. What can I say, I vote, but I carry the weight of one man.

Edit, 3 minutes later...

I have been silently observing tributes.
To many and much about human suffering and tragedy.
Big and small.

I also am tired of 911 justifying Homeland Security et al.
Banner waving and yellow ribbon tying in the name of provocative impetus for
clamping down on personal freedom and continuing a war based on faulty
and probably significantly biased intelligence.

call 911 for emergency
recall 911 for justification of (?) if it isn't, at this stage of historical progress,
a silent tribute to needless loss of lives and generous repayments made
both financially and politically ...

those yellow ribbons for firefighters or military men ?
speechwriters or news reporters' cameras?

the sentiments made above in know way reflect the position of this website,
nor it's staff or membership, nor are they even sufficient to describe the feelings
of one man to the degree those feelings have truly been felt

Edited by phawgg, 09 January 2006 - 09:59 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

Dear phawgg,

You said it better. I wish I had your facility with words.

Regards

Constantine

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:07 AM

In many people's eyes, WE are the terrorists. Terrorists by proxy.

This thread is a tribute and remembrance of those innocents who lost their lives. To say that we are terrorists--and by we i suppose you mean Americans, and possibly others participating in western culture since other members of the human race that were attacked were of other nationalities--while we are in the midst of thinking of those innocents, is to imply that the victims of the attack were actually guilty and deserved what they got.

We were attacked. And we should remember that. And not just those who died, but the thousands of others that survived the events of 911. How do they, how do we, deserve being victimized like that? And by we I mean any one of the human race that puts any value on human life and the quality thereof.

Bin Laden said something to the effect of--the big difference between us and you Americans is that you love life, but we love death.

No matter what you feel about the events following 911 and whether or not it all is justified, let's have some respect for the victims and don't turn the blame around on them. The victims didn't start the war on terror. And it is a war. Once engaged in any war, the innocent will die and suffer on both sides.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#12 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

When I say that some people believe we are the terrorists, I mean by we, our society. Please don't personalise it and try and deflect my point by making it seem as somehow I am attacking the victims of the tragedy of september 11.

Their violent death in no way diminishes the consequeces of our society's culpubility in the state of the world and the numbers of people that die from lack of clean drinking water and food and preventable disease while we gorge ourselves on the fruits of the earth.

Culpable you ask, for the deaths of these people? How so? Well, Americans (and I use America as an example, although all western countries bear responsibiliy) spend more money on pet food each year than on providing aid to impoverished people. Look at the amounts spent of weapons, drugs, cosmetics, cigarettes, alcohol. We spend more money on each of these items than we do on trying to save innocent lives.

What makes these 3000 people who were so tragically murdered so much more special than the millions of others who die, largely due to our society's greed and neglect? When was the last silent tribute for them?

I understand your feelings about the event. I share them. I merely point out that we should show the same feelings for the countless people suffering and dying all around the world, EVERY DAY. Be democratic in your goodwill and sorrow. It does not belittle the victims of Sepember 11 to do so.

You may argue that it is not our fault. The government should be held to account, not the people. I argue that, according to your founding fathers, the government is of the people, by the people, for the people. If the government bears the responsibility then so do we for allowing it to be so. If all of us actually thought about issues and acted then we may get the government we deserve.

As to this "war" we are apparently fighting. The reality is that an American has more chance of being hit by lightning than dying in a terrorist incident. You think much about getting struck by lightning? No? Me either. So, what really is this terrorist threat? Is it worth the costs? The costs in monetary terms, in loss of civil liberties, in international standing, in reputation?

I am constantly amazed by the success of the spin doctors who have convinced so many people to get behind this new war. You want to reduce the number of American deaths? Do you really? Get rid of your guns. Start wearing seat belts. These two inexpensive initiatives will save thousands of American lives every year.

So please, dont try and get me behind your new war. Just because George W. Bush says we are at war, it dont make it so. I've had it with self declared wars. The cold war; the war you have when your not having a war. The war on drugs; thats the one where we haven't won a battle in 60 years, let alone the war. That's the one that actually declares war on our own citizens in effect.

Who is your silent tribute helping? Your tribute to these victims should be a vocal one. You should be shouting from the rooftops a message to help those people who are still alive and desperately need your voice and your vote on their side.

Hell, one American I know of is doing the right thing. Bill Gates is spending billions each year saving lives. The governments and people of our western nations should hang our heads in shame that we have allowed this situation to develop. I mean, we have the money, the resouces, the military, the technology, the know-how and the ability to stop the dying.

We lack the will.

But on the other hand, a silent tribute sure feels good.

Constantine

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

~ God Bless all of the surviors of 9/11 and those that have lost their loved ones on that most tragic day in American history.

Hell, one American I know of is doing the right thing. Bill Gates is spending billions each year saving lives

As well he should, as any billionaire profiteer who has the available financial resources.
To me when one has so much, it is not that big of a deal. Color me not impressed.
Bill Gates Personal worth Clock

Tue Jan 10 08:55:07 EST 2006
Microsoft Stock Price: $26.86
Bill Gates's Wealth: $63.954917 billion
U.S. Population: 297,880,607
Your Personal Contribution: $214.70

"If you want to know what God thinks about money, just look at the people He gives it to."
-- Old Irish Saying

The governments and people of our western nations should hang our heads in shame that we have allowed this situation to develop.

America, and that means all of us (taxpayers), do give plenty to foriegn aid.

US and Foreign Aid Assistance

The problem with foriegn aid is that the monies that are intended to provide relief, is that they fall into the wrong hands more often than not. So in all actuality, foriegn aid helps to fund corrupt governments.....

And what about our own fellow Americans that are homeless?

HELP USA-> STATISTICS

On any given night, over 37,000 people are homeless in New York City, including more than 16,000 children. The population of the New York City municipal shelter system reached a record high in December 2002.

According to the Ford Foundation, nearly fifty percent of all homeless women and children are fleeing domestic violence. According to New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi's report during the first quarter of 1997, the New York City Police Department reported 83,040 reports; however the current number of shelter beds in the City was only 1,201.

According to Homes For The Homeless, families account for 38% of America's homeless.

Each night across America more than one million children have no place to call home.

Edited by Scarlett, 10 January 2006 - 09:35 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

When I say that some people believe we are the terrorists, I mean by we, our society. Please don't personalise it and try and deflect my point by making it seem as somehow I am attacking the victims of the tragedy of september 11.

My point is simply that you are deflecting the point away from what it was originally meant to be and by doing so make implications and associations to make innocent victims appear guilty.

I do take it personally. The attack changed the lives of everyone. Whether you were there and survived by the skin of your teeth, lost kin and/or friends, watched it on TV or are Bin Laden himself, your life changed on that day. We now live in a different world. So I like to remember what life was like before the attack. As a member of the human race who believes in the brotherhood of man, I have to take this personally.

Their violent death in no way diminishes the consequeces of our society's culpubility in the state of the world and the numbers of people that die from lack of clean drinking water and food and preventable disease while we gorge ourselves on the fruits of the earth.

Culpable you ask, for the deaths of these people? How so? Well, Americans (and I use America as an example, although all western countries bear responsibiliy) spend more money on pet food each year than on providing aid to impoverished people. Look at the amounts spent of weapons, drugs, cosmetics, cigarettes, alcohol. We spend more money on each of these items than we do on trying to save innocent lives.

The point is that the victims are in no way culpable for being attacked. And again, it's not just for those who died, but anyone who was victimized.

I refuse to feel guilty for the ills of society and a misbehaving government. And the victims of the 911 attack should not feel guilty either. It would be nice to live in a perfect world where all of humanity is well-fed, housed and able to lead a comfortable life. It's unfortunate, but in the real world, utopias don't exist. And by your reasoning I suppose we should get rid of all the pets on earth so that no one spends their money extraneously.

Just take these words of Jesus Christ, who devoted a great deal of his life to help the poor and suffering. And let's look beyond whether or not you believe in the miracles ascribed to him or any one Christian dogma or belief system and just listen to the words.

He said that there will be poor always. That's not to say that we shouldn't try to help them--else the parable of the Good Samaritan would have no meaning. It's just that that is reality. And it didn't stop him from ministering to the poor and suffering.

There is also an obscure passage where he says to make friends with mamman. Mamman being money. The point being that money should not be worshipped and we should not be greedy, but it does serve a purpose in the real world and you shouldn't feel guilty for using it to look after your own needs.

What makes these 3000 people who were so tragically murdered so much more special than the millions of others who die, largely due to our society's greed and neglect? When was the last silent tribute for them?

I understand your feelings about the event. I share them. I merely point out that we should show the same feelings for the countless people suffering and dying all around the world, EVERY DAY. Be democratic in your goodwill and sorrow. It does not belittle the victims of Sepember 11 to do so.

The people who died are no more special than anyone else. It is my belief that each individual in this world is special. It's the event that should be remembered. Perhaps tribute is not the right word.

If you want to remember every indivdual who has suffered in this world, some poor child that suffered and died of starvation in Africa or where ever, by all means do so. In another topic. My point is that there is a big difference in suffering from neglect and being attacked. Comparing the two events does belittle the victims of 911 in my opinion.

I'll also just point out that if you want to "be democratic" in mourning for those who suffer, you'll go crazy, as everyone who ever lived has suffered to some degree.

You may argue that it is not our fault. The government should be held to account, not the people. I argue that, according to your founding fathers, the government is of the people, by the people, for the people. If the government bears the responsibility then so do we for allowing it to be so. If all of us actually thought about issues and acted then we may get the government we deserve.

I argue that it is not my fault. I understand the point that our government acts in our name, and therefore we share some responsibility for those actions, however ill-advised they may be. But to argue that we and our government are culpable for the 911 attack plays into Bin Laden's argument that the US and anyone who doesn't believe in the extremist fundamentalist Islamic view is evil and deserves to die. He'll say we are the terrorists, too, because we don't spend all our money to help the indigent that he has spent money to help. Do you admire Bin Laden because of that? What about all the money he's spent on guns and killing?

I don't like everything the government does, but as phawgg pointed out, I am only one individual, and there is only so much that I can do.

I don't like that there is starving and suffering in the world, but there is only so much I can do.

We should all do what we can and not feel guilty that we couldn't do more. If you want to advocate activism and fight against apathy, more power to you. Just don't assume that everyone is apathetic or that they don't want to help people. And I have to say that I've heard similar sentiments from al Quaida propagandists. They want us to feel guilty for our apathy, making us to blame for some poor woman in Iraq that was raped. What disturbs me is that some anti-war activists buy into that twisted logic.

As to this "war" we are apparently fighting. The reality is that an American has more chance of being hit by lightning than dying in a terrorist incident. You think much about getting struck by lightning? No? Me either. So, what really is this terrorist threat? Is it worth the costs? The costs in monetary terms, in loss of civil liberties, in international standing, in reputation?

You ask me a question here and assume you know the answer, which I have to say I resent. It's funny you bring up the example of lightening. As I was writing my previous response, a thunderstorm was occuring. So yeah I do think about being struck by lightening. Nevertheless I take your point. But if you don't understand what the terrorist threat is after the events of 911, I doubt that I can explain it to you.

And it is not an apparent war, but a real war. No one in their right mind wants war. But when one is attacked one has no choice. Don't you think we would have left bin laden and his henchmen alone until he began attacking us and our interests? He's the one who wants a jihad.

Let's define a jihad--there was a lot of talk when this all began that to use the word jihad to mean a Holy War was a misnomer, that it simply means to struggle. Implying that it was limited to an individual's own spiritual struggle. But that is subject to intrepretation. Isn't war a struggle? Didn't the 911 terrorist attack initiate a struggle for the mind? That we now struggle with the thought that we are no longer safe where ever we are? Don't you think that bin laden wants us to struggle with the thought that we are evil and to blame for the world's ills? I'll pick my own struggles thank you.

I am constantly amazed by the success of the spin doctors who have convinced so many people to get behind this new war. You want to reduce the number of American deaths? Do you really? Get rid of your guns. Start wearing seat belts. These two inexpensive initiatives will save thousands of American lives every year.

Well, there is no spin to the fact that we were attacked. I won't even get into the issue of gun control. Definitely for another topic, and wearing seat belts? Give me a break. I can't believe such an inane argument would be brought up in a topic about respecting the suffering of others. That's a matter of personal liberty. So do you think the government should stop spending money on helping others and use it to force people to wear seat belts?

So please, dont try and get me behind your new war.

I never advocated that. Simply pointed out that we were attacked. That is a fact. And the war on terror is not new. Whether you are behind the war or not is your choice.

Just because George W. Bush says we are at war, it dont make it so. I've had it with self declared wars. The cold war; the war you have when your not having a war. The war on drugs; thats the one where we haven't won a battle in 60 years, let alone the war. That's the one that actually declares war on our own citizens in effect.

First I hope you're not implying that I'm a mindless follower that is 100 percent behind everything Dubya says and does--nothing could be further from the truth. But he is the president and if he hadn't said we are at war with the terrorists, then there would have been no reaction to the attack. Are we to just allow bin laden and his cohorts to feel safe in doing what they want to do without going after him? If someone comes after you with a knife, do you just let them stab you to death?

The war on terror is hardly a self-declared war. Now you can debate whether the Iraq war is a part of the War on Terror--and you might be surprised what my feelings about that are--but the simple fact is that we did not choose to be attacked. The cold war, war on drugs, et al, are beside the point and also should be debated on their own.

Who is your silent tribute helping? Your tribute to these victims should be a vocal one. You should be shouting from the rooftops a message to help those people who are still alive and desperately need your voice and your vote on their side.

Let's put it this way. Who is helped by a funeral? Funerals are for the living. For those of us still living, a remembrance is just paying respect. I don't know about you, but something died inside of me when those towers came down. I should be allowed to grieve without being made to feel guilty. So should everyone.

What good is shouting it from the rooftops going to do? We all grieve in our own way.

And I believe Scarlett has answered the BS about Bill Gates pretty well.

Edited by Papakid, 10 January 2006 - 01:25 PM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#15 P.T.

P.T.

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

Very well said Papakid, Eloquently put, I could never had said this as well as you just have with this post. :thumbsup:
It's easy to get lost in thought if it's not familiar territory to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users