Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC restarts while watching videos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 terence jackson

terence jackson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Dear reader,

My desktop gets stuck for the tiniest of moments and then restarts by itself while watching videos. Particularly when there is a glitch in the video or when i'm watching a HD video. With normal videos or online streaming it may or may not restart every time, but with HD videos it gets stuck and restarts everytime.

Would really appreciate some help. Here are the specifications.

CPU - INTEL PENTIUM D 945, PRESLER, 3400MHz
MOTHERBOARD - INTEL i945G
RAM - TRANSCEND DDR2 2gb
HDD - SAMSUNG 80gb IDE
LG DVDRW
PSU - MERCURY 450W

Will be waiting for your reply. Thanking you.
Terence Jackson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

I tend to lean towards hardware concerns with "hard" restarts. HD video decoding puts a lot of strain on that CPU (I assume onboard video).

On a system of that vintage I would suggest pulling the side panel and see how much dust/trash has accumulated in the heatsinks and clean accordingly. Check to make sure the fans are spinning. Look around for bulged/leaking capacitors while you are in there. You might pull out a stick of memory,or swap memory around, to see if that has an effect. Try running one stick at a time to see if anything changes.

Check voltages. No idea on the quality of that PSU. Easiest way is to get a cheap multimeter/DVOM and check voltages. Look for a spare/unused molex(4 pin) connector and check. 12V+ is the yellow, 5V+ is the red, both blacks are grounds. Keep the meter hooked up when stressing the CPU to see if voltage on the line drops out of spec.

Those are the easiest things (hardware) to check. As far as a software problem, did you change/install any new programs about the same time your problems syarted?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

Dear Dpunisher,
i'll try my best to follow your instructions. i did clean the inside of the cabinet and the fans. so far i have had no restarts.

about the softwares; no, i did not install any softwares when the problems started.
thanking you.
terence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users