Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft.net framework

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kogiks

kogiks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:07 AM

I've the latest microsoft. net framework version 3.5 SP1 in my computer. I wish to conserve space and would like to uninstall earlier versions which are still in my computer. How can I do this safely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Use Add/Remove Programs...uninstall them in reverse order.

Various versions which have different release dates are:
NET Framework 1.0 (obsolete)
NET Framework 1.1 (obsolete)
NET Framework 2.0
NET Framework 3.0
NET Framework 3.5
3.5, Service Pack 1
NET Framework 4 (beta status, not ready for prime time). Do not consider installing.

Note that 3.5, SP1 will include elements of some prior installs, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents."

Cumulative means...that it contains all prior updates for prior versions. Contrary to what some believe, I think.

In any case...on my system, I only installed 3.5, SP1. But when I installed that, I also installed (as part of 3.5, SP1) updates to 2.0, SP2...3.0, SP2..so I have a bunch of entries in my Add/Remove Programs that relate to those 3 items (sub-items are also reflected in Add/Remove Programs for those items on my system.

I don't try to remove those 3 major categories...because they are all part of the same download package. It's not worth my time/attention to worry about whether I could remove them, I know that they are part of Version 3.5, SP1 and I can live with that (since my system functions harmoniously).

I don't have any earlier versions of Net Framework installed...I uninstalled those before downloading 3.5, SP1.

If I wanted to remove the updates for earlier versions (which are a part of the cumulative update which 3.5, SP1 is), then I would remove the newest version/update (which I think is unnecessary) first...then go back to the one before that continuously...until I had removed the items I wanted to remove.

So, if I decided to remove the updates pertaining to 2.0, SP2 and 3.0, SP2...I would remove the 3.0, SP2 item first, then the 2.0 SP2 item.

If I had NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1 installed...I would remove those two via Add/Remove Programs...since they are history. If they are installed on a system, Windows Update will try to install critical updates for them that were published back when.
In general...an application that requires NET Framework...will tell you what version it requires (as a minimum). I have never had any problems with such apps when I had installed a more recent version that specified.

Lots of words, sorry for that...but it seems to me that a large number of persons don't really understand the various versions and why they are still supported. I think that the simple reason MS leaves the older versions out...they have realized that users don't necessarily update their systems very often or consistently (can we say..."critical updates" as an example?) and it's just easier to make them all available for download/install.

Last words, I promise: It's interesting to note that there is a 50MB full download package available for MS.NET, as opposed to the 2.8MB 3.5, SP1 download. From what I read, this is a convenience for program developers who use NET tools in their products. But this package can probably be installed by anyone who insists on having every version of MS.NET and who doesn't have any version currently installed. I just downloaded that package and tried to install it and it tells me that I have a newer version and cannot install (which is good).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users