Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Preparing log report

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cc1069

cc1069

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

Combofix has run through all its processes fine on a pc but has now been stuck on Preparing log report for many hours. Although I can do anything else on this pc (ie go on internet, open outlook, open word etc) I cannot stop the Combofix programme and I also cannot reboot the PC. Can anyone help with this. The Pc is XP Pro SP2 and has been plagued with the backdoor tid!inf trojan in the last week.

I have already run Malwarebytes, CCleaner, AVast boot scan. So this was my last resort, all I need to do is stop this process really

Edited by cc1069, 11 March 2010 - 03:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

I'll check
You can open the Run command, correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

There are circumstances ComboFix will hang or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable any other real-time protection tools and CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. While that is not normal behaviour, it is not unusual. In such cases, it is helpful to know at what stage CF stalled and to provide that information to the Helper who is assisting you so they can investigate. If you don't know and it still appears to be struck, frozen or failed to reboot, then try this:

Open Task Manager and look for the following processes:
PEV.exe
NirCmd.cfxxe
PEV.cfxxe

One at a time, highlight, right click and choose End Process. If that did not resolve the issue, then you will need to reboot the computer manually.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Ricorocks

Ricorocks

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Doing this:

"NORTON 360

Right-click the Norton 360 Premier Edition icon in the system tray and select Disable Antivirus Automatic-Protect.
You will get a new dialog box with five options: 15 minutes, 1 hour, 5 hours, Until system restart, Permanently.
Choose 5 hours."

COMBOFIX still complains that, Norton360 antispyware is still active. Can't find (google or settings) any additional turn offs fo the antispyware portion.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hello Ricorocks

This thread is over a year old and addressed the OP's problem with the tool hanging. If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users