Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware remover Is this safe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manny18

manny18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

Hi im new here. I recently downloaded a malware remover software. But im not installing it yet because im not sure if it is safe. The software is XoftSpy. Is it safe?

Edited by manny18, 11 September 2005 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

This is the listing to go by. XoftSpy was on the rogue list of spyware products. But has since been taken off.
(Version 4.0 that is.)

The info at this link could help you too.

Bleeping Computer - Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

The programs listed at the above link. Are used and recommended by many here. So there would be a lot of available help if needed.

Edited by Scarlett, 11 September 2005 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

#3 manny18

manny18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Ok, thanks. I have read the instructions on how to remove malware in one of the discusions here, is it safe too? and can i get any support if i try them and encountered a problem? Im also about to reformat my PC by next week. Is it much nicer if ill wait until next week?

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

Ok, thanks. I have read the instructions on how to remove malware in one of the discusions here, is it safe too? and can i get any support if i try them and encountered a problem? Im also about to reformat my PC by next week. Is it much nicer if ill wait until next week?

Im not sure what you mean. What discussion are you speaking of.

My honest opinion is that I would not even use XoftSpy.
Like I said there is more help for the programs in
"Simple steps to keep your computer secure!"

Freeware replacements for common commercial apps

Is a good place to look for security programs. All mentioned there, are known to be safe programs.

And Im sorry but I do not know much at all about re-formating.
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

The programs listed in the BC Tutorial are generally recognised to be the standard to which all others repair; installing XsoftSpy is either redundant to those iff you have them installed, or a poor substitute if you do not.
Moreover, especially with Spybot and Ad-AwareSE (the two most commonly used), you have many, many members able to answer your questions because they use them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users