Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoss

MrRoss

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

I was trying to download Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware and cannot get either to download. The download window pops up immediately and says canceled. I've never had this problem before so I don't know where to begin looking for the source of the problem.

EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks.

Edited by MrRoss, 11 March 2010 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Just wanted to come back and post that this was a problem with Firefox on a machine running Windows XP SP3 and Firefox 3.6. It was solved by going to the Control Panel, clicking Internet Options, clicking Security Tab, Internet Zone, Custom Level, scrolling down to the Miscellaneous section, selecting the option for "Prompt (recommended)" under the Launching applications and unsafe files. I've since lost track of the link to the help section on Mozilla Firefox's site where I found the information after about a day of googling many different search terms but this is how it was solved. It seems that when selecting a very high security level for the Internet Zone changes this selection and if you want to be able to download you will need to set it this way and it's easy enough to change back after a download if you really want the high security level or you don't want others to be able to download things on your system.

Contol Panel
Internet Options
Security Tab
Internet Zone
Custom Level
Miscellaneous
Launching applications and unsafe files
Prompt (recommended)

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thank you!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Thank you!!

You're quite welcome, boopme! I finally found the link to the information I used to solve this problem. I will post it here in case anyone else comes across this issue because it seems to be hard to locate the information for it when you need it. It seems to affect users of Firefox 3.5 and 3.6.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_o...tings_-_Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users