Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer will not start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DrunkenLullaby

DrunkenLullaby

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

I believe hardware on my computer is failing because I keep getting corrupt files, even when I bought a new hardrive and reinstalled windows xp. Sometimes the computer, when under a lot of work will just shut down automatically. If a lot of work isn't being performed on the computer it will run fine all day, but sometimes the next morning it won't start, but after several attempts it will finally load windows and say some fatal error had occured.
Anyhow this morning I tried to start my computer and I got some message about corrupt files or something and it used log files to recover the file...I forget the exact message but when windows started I just had my background picture and nothing else. From the task manager it appears everything except explorer.exe is running. I can manually start programs by using task manager(Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Pictures) but when I try to load Windows Explorer nothing happens. I scanned for viruses and nothing was found. Internet explorer runs fine when I manually start it, and so far everything else, except for explorer.exe.
How can I fix this current issue with explorer.exe and also would a failing power supply or failing memory cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

I scanned for viruses and nothing was found

It could be a rootkit that your AV isn't catching
Pretty common
If you are backing up documents, then adding them back after reinstalling Windows, that could be re-infecting your computer
Best way would be to zero out your hard drive with Active Killdisk [free version] or Darik's Boot and Nuke [DBAN]. Then reformat and re-install
Then don't add back anything

You might want to prepare and submit a DDS log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by garmanma, 11 March 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DrunkenLullaby

DrunkenLullaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

I backed up all my files from my new hardrive onto my old hardrive, and then I'm going to completely disconnect the Old Hardrive(it's in the slave spot). I'm still leaning towards a hardware problem, but I'm willing to try wiping the hardrive clean and starting fresh. On top of the new hardrive installed, the other hardrive I installed is one 1gb of ram, and a 512 MB DDR2 Graphics Card.

The very first problem I was having with my old hardrive(before I installed the new harddrive and graphics card). Was I couldn't start windows and would get this message:
Cannot start windows isapnp.sys missing or corrupt.

I installed the new drive in the master spot and old drive in the slave spot and installed windows onto the new drive.
Anyhow that's some more information on the problem (explorer.exe not starting isn't the only problem). I seem to fix the problem and then something else goes missing or corrupt.
But if you think wiping my disk is the first thing I should do I'm all for it. Well, not really since the installing windows and them getting the computer updated to windows sp3 and downloading all the drivers and other crap for it takes several days. If it turns out there was a virus on the old hard drive, I just want to make sure I can still recover my files from it since there's a lot of important stuff on there.
Should I still proceed with wiping the hardrive?(I'll completely disconnect the old drive first and not reconnect until we've determined a problem).

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Like I said, you can submit a DDS log for review and see what the Malware Removal team can find

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Just so you know, there will be a bit of a wait for a response
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 angeebaybee

angeebaybee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

I scanned for viruses and nothing was found

It could be a rootkit that your AV isn't catching
Pretty common
If you are backing up documents, then adding them back after reinstalling Windows, that could be re-infecting your computer
Best way would be to zero out your hard drive with Active Killdisk [free version] or Darik's Boot and Nuke [DBAN]. Then reformat and re-install
Then don't add back anything

You might want to prepare and submit a DDS log

I am having this same problem and I am close to completely illiterate on the computer subject. I do not have a reinstall disk, is there a way to get one or am I mis-reading your instruction? Thanks so much for any help! :thumbsup:

#6 DrunkenLullaby

DrunkenLullaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

I am having this same problem and I am close to completely illiterate on the computer subject. I do not have a reinstall disk, is there a way to get one or am I mis-reading your instruction? Thanks so much for any help! :thumbsup:

My computer didn't come with an installation cd. I had to order it online, using my computer's serial number, model number, windows key and a few other numbers which is found on the back of my computer. I believe I paid $12 or $13 for the recovery cds, which included a windows installation cd and another cd with my computers original drivers. If you have anyone you know in person, who is somewhat computer savvy, you might want to ask them if they can help you out, along with the kind folks from bleepingcomputer.com. Tomorrow I'll be nuking, reformating and re-installing. It's a big headache I've sort of been putting off. Goodluck with fixing your problem! PS, if you have important files, pictures, music or what ever on your computer, you should hold off on the nuking until you have backed the files up somehow--I have two different hardrives, which is helpful when it comes to backing up information.

#7 DrunkenLullaby

DrunkenLullaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

Alright my new hardrive was nuked, reformated and has a fresh Windows XP on it. I downloaded all of the Windows XP SP3 security updates and a updated copy of AVG Anti-Virus. My old hardrive is still disconnected. When I installed windows it made my primary drive "J" not "C" and now it won't let me change it. I couldn't install my computer's chipset because it requires C:\ for it to work. How do I change my primary drive back to "C"?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Use the custom installation option and change the drive to J.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

All of the following assumes that your system partition is the 1st partition on a hard drive.

To change XP back to C:, temporarily disconnect all other hard drives...boot the system and it may change to C:. The system is designed to assign C: to the first bootable partition it sees.

If not, then you try a bootcfg /rebuild command from the XP Recovery Console.

If that fails, a repair install of XP would be my ultimate solution.

Louis

#10 DrunkenLullaby

DrunkenLullaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I searched the internet high and low for a safe way to do it but finally I just reformatted and reinstalled windows hoping there was an option I missed. There was never an option for me, but for some reason this time it installed to c:\.
My new error is Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417).
I think any error happened when I downloaded it because every time I try to install it I get an error. Other than that everything else seemed to update fine. I expect within the week my typical problems will begin again where random windows files become missing or corrupt. Thanks for the help so far. I'll keep you all updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users