Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random windows opening

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elisethestranger

elisethestranger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi, I have Windows Vista, I don't know the version, I apologize.

The problem is that occasionally, while I'm typing, random windows/functions start popping up in the program I'm using. I only do any typing in Firefox and MS Word 2003, and it happens in both programs. I don't know if it would happen with anything else, but I wouldn't be surprised.

What happens is that suddenly things pop up that I didn't ask for. For example, I'll be typing in a firefox window such as this, and suddenly a history sidebar is open, or several new tabs, or my typing is now in the address bar instead of where I was originally. Or, in Word, suddenly my text is center justified, or the "save as" window is open and my typing is happening in the blank there. It seems to come in clusters, and happens about every other day or so. I've been ignoring it, but it's been happening more and more. There's never any ads, pop-ups, or anything especially malicious - the program just all of a sudden performs a function I didn't ask for, as if I hit some macro key combination, except it happens when I'm simply typing text. I'm almost certain I'm not hitting the Ctrl key on accident; I've been trying to keep track of what letter it happens with, and Ctrl+[that letter] doesn't reproduce the result. There's no pattern as to which letter it happens with.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by elisethestranger, 11 March 2010 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Is it laptop, or desktop?
Did you try different keyboard?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 elisethestranger

elisethestranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

It's a laptop. It actually started happening very soon after I got the computer.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

A program that is being loaded at start up has these functions pre-programmed in to open up these applications when certain keys are pressed.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

You sure, you're not touching a touchpad while typing?
Is the laptop still under warranty?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

I'll bet your Ctrl key is sticking. This happened once or twice with my Windows Logo Key. Really weird things were happening when I tried to type. I thought my computer had gone nuts!! Then, I started to notice a pattern in the results (I was getting results I would normally get from Windows 7 keyboard shortcuts using Windows Logo Key)...and after giving my Windows Logo Key a tap, it was back to normal.

Here's why I believe your Ctrl key is sticking:

Ctrl + T = new tab in Firefox
Ctrl + H = history sidebar in FF
Ctrl + L = takes you to the address bar
Ctrl + S = Save
Ctrl + E = center justified in Word

Among others:

Ctrl + J = Downloads in FF
Ctrl + K = search bar in FF
Ctrl + P = Print in most applications
Ctrl + N = new window
Ctrl + F = find
Ctrl + A = select all
Ctrl + Z = undo
Ctrl + Y = redo
Ctrl + R = reloads FF page
Ctrl + W = closes FF tab

"Ctrl + something" can do a lot of stuff.

Was this a new or used laptop when you got it?

If it was new, your Ctrl key shouldn't be sticking right out of the box. Take it back for a replacement or refund.

If it was used, then it is very understandable for the key to stick. It could have too much use, something could have been spilled on it, etc..

The reason you don't get the same results every time when trying to replicate the problem is this: if the key can get stuck on (pushed down), it can just as easily get stuck off (up). On my cheap external keyboard, occasionally I'll get an unresponsive key...or one that repeats (sticking). It happens.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 elisethestranger

elisethestranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:27 AM

keyboardninja, I bet you're right and that all makes sense. It was new when I got it, but any warranty on it has expired at this point. I've had it for about 8 months, and it didn't start right away (I think I keep contradicting myself on when it started, probably because it wasn't bother me very much for so long). I'm going to try to use canned air on the keyboard to get some of the accumulated stuff out, any other suggestions?

Thanks for everyone's help!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:35 AM

Most warranties are good for a year after purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users