Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Background but no icons = I need help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LouHatesComputers

LouHatesComputers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

Hello, first time post here. Ok, my machine is using Vista (sorry, I have no idea what "version" it is) BTW, I am terrible with computers. My problem: lately, every other day or two, I will wake up my computer from sleep mode ( I heard that turning it off and on kills a computer over time ) and I get the desktop wallpaper/background picture but no icons. Pressing escape, or the windows button, or right-clicking to make a new folder, document,etc. doesn't help get me into Windows Vista, nor does it restore the desktop icons. This forces me to turn my computer off and on again, which is slow computer death. :huh: What should I do next time this happens? What's going on here? Please remember to use average Joe language when responding. Thanks.
"Reports of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated." --Capt.Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gilmister

gilmister

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

What are your settings in your Power Options in the Control Panel
for waking after sleep. Do you have it set for a password or not? This information would help in finding a solution.
Regards,
Gilmister

#3 LouHatesComputers

LouHatesComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

I had it set so that the computer shuts off when I press the power button. I switched it to sleep because you broughtmy attention to it. I'm guessing that next time I get the desktop with no icons that I should just press the power button, put the computer to sleep, wait about 30 seconds, and then wiggle the mouse, right? You would think that would do the trick (but we're talking about computers here :huh: :huh: And I'm not requiring a password. I alone use this computer, so there's no point. Thanks!

:huh: Update: This is why I hate computers: it didn't work. Of course, there was no real reason to think it would. I had to turn my computer off-and-on again a few minutes ago to get my regular desktop with icons. :huh: Can someone help me?!?

Edited by LouHatesComputers, 12 March 2010 - 08:35 PM.

"Reports of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated." --Capt.Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

Turning computers off a lot does not necessarily kill a computer any faster, now putting it to sleep all the time is not good for the ram (memory) either, also a computer that is put to sleep and hardly ever turned off get's slower and comes up with errors and problems like this. My solution to this would be to just simply turn it off at night when your not using it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

Open Task Manager and in the Applications window, end all of the tasks
Start a new task and type explorer.exe and click OK
That should bring up your Desktop
Update your AV and run a scan

Perhaps post a topic in our Am I Infected forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 LouHatesComputers

LouHatesComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Garmanma, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try, but it brings up a question. I can't open anything when I have this problem (I wake up the computer from sleep or from screensaver mode, and instead of desktop with icons, I only have the desktop picture, no icons. Furthermore, nothing I do opens anything or gets me into Vista (or anything!!) ) I am forced to turn it off and on again to get my desktop back.
As for Comperxpds, it is my understanding that turning a computer on and off daily does kill the computer. This happened with my other computer over the years, so I stopped doing that. So, in typical style of these wonderful machines, I'm screwed. You kill your computer by turining it off-and-on. You kill your computer by putting it in sleep mode. Great. :huh:

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Computers don't last forever and never will that is just a fact, belive me I know when I say it does not kill a computer any fast if you turn it off and on every day, there is no logical way this could be true if it were we would all never turn any computerized device off that includes any computerized device such as your cars computer. I know I have been working with computers since I was 5 I think I know what I'm talking about. And just as well I hope you resolve you problem that you orriginaly posted.

Good day to you.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Going through the normal shut down procedure will do no harm to the computer

Pressing the power button and holding it until it shuts down, will damage the computer over time
Sometimes you just can't help it
I find Hibernation/standby rather problematic on a desktop computer
A lot of times corrupt video drivers can be the culprit. They do not play well with hibernation/standby
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users