Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router with USB connection for Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

I have been researching and learning all the different ways of having storage on a network.

My 1st idea was to get one of those 1TB Network drives from Seagate, WD or Iomega.
Then someone suggested the pogoplug. Then I found out about Routers having USB connections
on them for hard-drives.

The network drives all get around 3 stars on Amazon and they are bulky.
The pogo-plug is questionable because it's free for only 1 year and there are security issues.

The Router idea seems good, because then you could use one of the smaller drives and take it with you
if you want, but the cost would be more because you have to buy both the router and the drive.

My Question is, can someone post a link or give me the name of some good Routers with USB connections
for adding HDs? Is this way of doing things being phased out and being replaced by the network drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

Belkin's N+ Wireless Router features a USB storage port on the back of the router for connecting USB storage devices such as an external hard drive or thumb drive to the network. Now you can centrally store and share media content and files from the USB hard drive to every computer on the network. This router also features Gigabit Ethernet ports for a wired connection that can handle applications that take up a large amount of bandwidth. The N+ router is based on the draft 802.11n 2.0 technology which provides the wireless range to easily cover any-size home or office. The N+ Router has the bandwidth and speed for handling media intensive applications that take up large amounts of your bandwidth.

I like this one and its only $50.

#3 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Okay,

So i saw this one (belkin) that you speak of down at Staples (and of course it's more there) and I saw 1 other, which
was the Netgear Dualband (Wndr3700) for $160.

Do you think the Netgear is that much better for twice the price?
and do you think this is just as good a using those Network drives?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

For what it's worth, I don't think the differences are that pronounced. Maybe cruise the newspaper ads for a sale or buy it cheaply online, I would try the cheapest route possible if it were me.

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

so you have used this with an external hard-drive and you found it to be good? I want to be able to stream music
through it if possible and also manage folders etc. Was thinking of getting a seagate 1tb drive to go with it.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

I have never used it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I had a computer with a external with movies plugged into it that was on the network and streamed the same way, but I think this is better because this way you don't have to have the server computer up all the time just the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users