Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search & display Form in VB express?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheMexican

TheMexican

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hey guys, I'm making a form that's going to have a lot of buttons, and they all fall under the same catagory. Plus it needs to be very modular in the sense that I can add items easily.

So what I need to make really is a VB form, with a text box at the top, which lets you enter in search terms, then based on those will search for "tags" attached to the button and choose to display those resulting buttons on a panel below. The tag system would be great if all it did was check the "text" field of the button for each word.

Is this possible? If so how would I go about linking the textbox to act as a search box and filter the buttons?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

This seems like something that'd be better implemented as a webpage. But if you must, you can just create controls and put them on the form. I.e.:
' Note that myform is an instance of a form
Dim mytext As New Label
mytext.Text = "Search Results"
myform.Children.Add(mytext)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 TheMexican

TheMexican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

I knew that would be the first comment for what I described. lol, the goal is to eliminate the need for internet. Its going to be a more in-depth form of a program called Dial-a-fix.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hmm.. you mean This program?

That's probably not a good idea because the program you'd be running would require the .NET framework.... it's going to be difficult to convince users to install a 300MB runtime to run a simple tool. But good luck :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 TheMexican

TheMexican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Its not really to convince users to install, I'm a computer technician and I'm basically trying to make a tool to make my fixes quicker in the long run. I install .net framework on PC's anyway considering a lot of applications use it, so no difference really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users