Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to Keep my Flashdrives Protected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hello,

I would like to find out more about how to keep my flashdrives protected from bad stuff.

My family has seven computers that I am responsible for maintaining, and I've recently started using flashdrives to make it easier to install and updare software on all of them.

Two of the family computers (not mine, fortunately) recently got nabbed by "Antivirus Soft" while visiting Facebook pages, but I was finally able to clean them. What I'd like to do now is help make sure that using my flashdrives doesn't accidentally spread bad software again.

One of the suggestions I've seen in some posts is to use a program called sUBs Flash_Disinfector, but I'm afraid the explanations on how to use it were a little over my head. If someone could give me a simple explanation of what this software does and how to use it, I would be really happy.

For example, here are some things I'd like to find out:
(1) Does this software work only in XP, or does it also work in Vista and 7? (My family is currently using all three Windows versions.),
(2) Does it just block future bad software, or does it also scan & clean existing bad software on my flashdrives?,
(3) My flashdrives came with U3 software installed. Will the U3 software still work after using sUBs Flash_Disinfector, or will it get disabled?, and
(4) if the U3 software ends up disabled, is this important or really no big deal?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I believe you are referring to the U3 software bundled with Sandisk flash drives!? Well, they only offer software-based protection.

There are flash drives with a physical 'write-protection' switch, which when enabled prevents any kind of data to be written(saved) onto the disk.

I have one from TwinMOS but I can't really suggest a brand here. You will need to look for one that offers this feature.

Alternatively, you can also scan your flash drive using an Anti-virus software, everytime you plug in the drive into a computer.

Hope this helps.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

Have a look at this topic, USB Autorun Disabler?, especially post #8, by Papakid.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

In addition to the reading tg1911 gave you:

What it does:

The vaccination is two fold. If the computer's autorun settings are enabled, then files can spread to any drive that's plugged in. If the drives themselves are vaccinated, all the tool does is prevent the autorun.inf file from executing any of the malicious content that may have been copied to the drive when it's plugged in.

In other words, say you vaccinate your USB drive. The tool writes an autorun.inf file that's harmless. When it's inserted in a computer that does not have autorun disabled, the computer will attempt to read and process the autorun.inf file from the inserted drive. If an infection that spreads to network or USB drives is present on the computer, the infection may very well succeed in putting the files on the drive, but they will not be able to overwrite the autorun.inf file and as such the files will not run without user input (i.e. actually clicking on them).

If the computer's infected and that infection tries to multiply to external drives, then yes, it'll likely copy some files to it. You could then remove those as they wouldn't be running automatically once the drive's inserted in another PC. Nothing you do will stop files from being copied over to an external drive if an infection of that type is present on the system. Well, technically you can prevent that by setting the write protect mode, but not every USB drive has one of those and it prevents writing anything to the drive.

[TNX to Galadriel]

Edited by garmanma, 11 March 2010 - 11:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful info and advice.

Based on your input, it looks like it's safe for me to use the sUBs Flash_Disinfector program on my home computers and flashdrives, so I plan to do that when I get home tonight.

Bye for now.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users