Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icon question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LOVE7

LOVE7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Here we go, my pet peeve is not being able to attach a personal picture to my desktop icons. I know you can go to the file c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll and select a windows icon. I want to be able to go to "My pictures" and select an icon to attach to my desktop icon, does that make sense? Any ideals...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Welcome to BC. Just a question what Operating System where you able to do that? My only suggestion would be to right click on the icon and go to properties and change icon and then put in the loaction of the Pic.
-Matt

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Something like this?:
How do I Change my Windows Desktop Icons in Windows XP ?
or
How to Change System Icons in Windows XP: My Computer, Folders , Recycle Bin

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Aryan

Aryan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

Nice sharing,, i like it,,

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

In order to use an image as an icon, you must first convert the image to a icon file. This is fairly easy to do. Just open the image in question in MS Paint and resave it as a .ico file. MS Paint doesn't list this type as one of the supported filetypes, but it is.

Bear in mind that not all images will make pretty icons. Generally you want to use smaller images and images which are perfectly square (i.e. 64 pixels high by 64 pixel wide is ideal) otherwise the icon may look squished and distorted as Windows adjusts it to fit into the perfectly square icon renderer.

Look at this:
Posted Image

The original image is 147x129 pixels. The icon version shows a little bit of smushing but it's not very noticable.

Here's a worse one:
Posted Image
The original image is 72x42 pixels and the smushing of the icon is very apparent.

#6 LOVE7

LOVE7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Andrew,
In the save as type I cant find .ico and you cant type in that. What am I doing wrong. By the way I am running windows 7 professional

Edited by LOVE7, 25 April 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

Well, I don't know about Windows 7 but in the Windows XP version of MS Paint this works. What you do is ignore the "Save as type" field and manually add .ico to the end of the file name.

#8 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Since you're talking about desktop icons here's another neat trick that you may like.

Nameless icons for a sleek desktop:

Right click the icon and click Rename.
Hold Alt and type 0160 then press Enter.
The code inserts a invisible Windows character.

If Windows will not allow you to rename other icons with that then add the code twice ect so it will be acknowledged as a different name.

Posted Image

#9 PadRat

PadRat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

M,

I like this idea, but when I right click on my Recycle Bin, "Rename" is not an option.

I am using XP SP 3 also, and was wondering if you had to do anything special to rename Recycle Bin.

Thank you,

PadRat
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” Werner von Braun

#10 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Try logging in as administrator and see if it will allow it then. If that doesn't work then maybe someone else could help on that because I wouldn't know otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users