Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with Win XPPro Files and Setting Transfer Wizard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 XPProNovice

XPProNovice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

OK All, I am a newbie here, so please be Gentle!

I recently decided to reload XP Pro on my laptop with a Clean Install. Before I did, I used the Files and Settings transfer wizard to transfer ( I thought) all my music and Pics as well as some application settings. When I run the Wizard again and select the file location, the wizard informs me that the file contains no stored data. I have tried copying the file off the USB hard Drive I used to save it to and on to my local drive, and still will not go through. I have also tried to use the Wizard disk maker and the Win XP cd to run the wizard with no success. Is there ant way to extract the files manually with a 3rd party program or does anyone have any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

Have you tried to view the files on a different computer? Were you using WinXP when you moved the files or were you using a different OS? Does the USB drive appear in My Computer as a drive?

Edited by acklan, 11 September 2005 - 04:38 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 XPProNovice

XPProNovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

Yes, I was using XP, the same version, ie, I reinstalled windows on my laptop. I have copied the fiels from the USB drive to my local hard drive and can also "see" the files when I open the containing folder. The usb drive is visible and labled "E" in my computer and when I open it to view files, I can see the USMT.UNC file and can open it and see the files. There are several files in the USMT folder, and each one say that it is 2Gb in size, save for one that is .8Gb. The individual files are stored as .DAT files. I have no clue what to do at this point, but I want my music, pics and documents back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users