Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

I am in big trouble on this one.I did something real stupid.My mother-in-law gave my wife her old Gateway laptop.I decided to reinstall XP.When I booted from CD it said XP version is newer than the operating disk.So idiot me uninstalled a service pack from the computer because I thought that would do it.It is after all 5years old.Guess what?Won't boot normally,last known config or in safe mode.The only thing I get is safe mode with command prompt.Unfortunaetly I don't know what the hell to do with that.I tried to put the operating disk in the CD drive but don't know what to do.Can I get the drive to work from the prompt so I can reinstall or am I screwed.One other thing,it won't boot from CD either.I hope someone can help because if I don't fix this my sex life is over for good.Thanx,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

<<When I booted from CD...>>

What CD would that be? Provided by Gateway? Provided by Microsoft?

What model Gateway system?

Do you have the Gateway XP license info...to complete the attempted install of XP?

Louis

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

The disk says Gateway operating system and the model is Gateway DS Solo1450 LS.I also have the receipt with all the info and the license info,Tony.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Gateway Reference #1, Repair Install

Gateway Reference #2, Clean Install

Louis

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thank-you for the reply,will give it a try.One thing though,when I try to do anything an error message comes up that says
Normaliz.dll is missing.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

<<...when I try to do anything...>>

Exactly...what is "anything"?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssing-error.htm

I don't understand how a Windows system file...is pertinent if you are trying to do a clean install.

Sooo...tell us exactly what you are trying to do...when this error occurs...and post the exact error message.

Louis

#7 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

When I turn on the computer it goes through the motions and after the welcome screen comes up so does ther error message.
Goes like this-on top of the error window it says Explorer.EXE-Unable to locate component.Below that is the error message which says- This application has failed to start because Normaliz.dll was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
When I close that window there is just a blue screen.I can only bring up the task manager which allows me to restart or shutdown.
I can't boot into safe mode screen just remains black.I can boot in safe mode with command prompt but don't know what to do there.When I put in the operating system disk and reboot the puter starts with the welcome screen again.I did get into the BIOS and it's set to first boot from cd-rom so I don't know what to do now,Tony.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

OK, let's try...boot into safe mode with command prompt.

Type chkdsk /r (exactly as written, space between k and /) and hit Enter.

A system repair process should begin and run.

This appears to be a problem related to IE 7 beta editions...not sure what you did, but you probably should not have done it.

Info purposes only: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1503492

What I personally would try...is downloading IE 8 and installing same (if possible).

While you are in safe mode...see if you can access Windows Update.

Louis

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanx Louis,will give it a try and you are right about one thing,shouldn't have done it,Tony.

#10 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanx again for all your help Louis.Did the chkdsk and went fine.IE8 is the browser anyway.I guess I shouldn't have uninstalled the service pack.Unfortunaetly I will have to pay for my stupidity.Without explorer.exe I can't seem to do anything,Tony.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

The answers to these situations varies...see http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...73b11f867dbecea.

It's not Explorer.exe that's missing...the error message indicates that explorer.exe cannot find the named file...in your case, normaliz.dll.

You need a Microsoft XP CD (with SP3 included)...to attempt a repair install (IMO) or try one of the procedures listed at the Google link.

Worth a look, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=800348

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users