Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats wrong with my pc ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sigs67

sigs67

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hello all

I have been having trouble installing windows updates & the newer version of my security. I trawled forum after forum to look at these problems a software issue, tried to download Windows Installer 3.1 but that wouldn't install either. I just get this update or that update has failed to install. I also have Bullguard but this just tells me that "the installation has failed to install because the configuration is incorrect, reinstalling the application may solve the problem" Unfortunatley it doesn't.

The weird thing is that I downloaded a trial of Norton as I had no security & this installed no problem.

I have had help from people at Microsoft & Bullguard, tried this, done that etc. I have had checks for any Virus that might be lurking in my PC analysed & nothing shows.

After several days of thinking it to be a software problem or a deep routed virus, I tried these updates on the kids netbook & bingo all installed no problem.

So I think that its the internal working of my pc itself thats the problem not the software. I am thinking of resetting to the manufacturers settings, but if its shot at then so be it. What are the best diagnostic programmes? & if its gone to the big pc repairshop in the sky which programmes are the best for wiping the harddrive before I scrap it?

I have a Dell Inspiron thats about 4 years old.

Thanks to all.

Sigs.

Edited by sigs67, 10 March 2010 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

Worth reading, IMO: Before You Post About Problem - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18366/before-you-post-about-a-problem/.

Louis

#3 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Louis

I hope this is better as I am not the most articulate when it comes to describing problems with my PC.

Sigs

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Well...it's one thing to attempt to troubleshoot computer issues when the system is in front of us...it's another to try to make sense out of what users type in the forum.

The better the detail, the more precise the enunciation of the problem...the more likely it is that someone will attempt to venture suggestions/ideas.

At least...that's the way I look at it.

What model Inspiron?

Do you have Dell CDs for this system?

Have you tried any diagnostics which Dell provides? Have you read your owners manual, which should tell you how to use these diagnostics?

Failure to install items...that's not necessarily a problem, depending on the circumstances.

<<I have been having trouble installing windows updates & the newer version of my security.>>

Problems with the Windows Update Site are legendary in 2010. The fact is...there are ways to work around some of those. Do the updates download and then fail to install...or do they fail to download?

What SP is installed on the system?

FWIW: Windows Installer 4.5 has been the current version for XP for about 2 years, I think. See Windows Installer 4.5 Download.

Go Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot your system, the command will execute and then reboot into XP.

Louis

#5 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hi again,

To answer your questions as best as i am able,

Updates download but do not install ie:

Security Update for Microsoft Works 8 (KB977304)
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB979202)

All failed to install.

My security ' Bullguard 9.0 ' also downloads and installs but when I go to run it I get the message " This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this may solve the problem "

It doesn't and I have had the people at Bullguard all over this one for the best part of 2 weeks with no success.

#6 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Sorry missed some info,

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3100C.

Dell diagnostics just tells me to do a Windows update.

Thanks Louis.

Edited by sigs67, 11 March 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Thank you :thumbsup:.

Windows Updates problems...are quite common. They are vexing, frustrating to those who want to use auto updates...but they are easily worked around or overcome.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

PC Hell How to Fix Problem When Windows Updates Download But Won't Install - http://www.pchell.com/support/windows_upda...t_install.shtml

Me...I choose not to use auto updates and I just either manually visit WUS or download the update and manually install, when something goes wrong. SP3 is a good one to download and install from the desktop.

FWIW: Of the three updates you specified...my system reflects none of them. The Works update and the Chrome update...I don't use either of those. The XML update is not on my system...so I have to wonder what makes you think you need to install it?

You may want to take a look at the chart at the bottom, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=973688. If you look at it, follow instructions, and understand it...you will see that not every user will have the autoupdate described. Example: msxml versions on my system are 2, 3, and 6...with no four.

Microsoft also confuses the issue...by including KB973687 as part of the reference for KB973688.

In short, because I have version 6 installed and not 4...I needed the package which is linked to in the chart for version 6. When I checked my updates, that package had been duly installed and reflected both at the WUS and my Add/Remove Programs.

Sooo...I suspect that you don't have a real problem, even though it might appear to be so.

Louis

#8 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

To Louis

Everything is working as it should. My windows updates have installed, my security has installed its latest version & is up & running. I cannot thank you enough.

I hope your wisdom helps many others after me.

Thanks once again.

Sigs.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users