Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed WD 500G as back up/storage for my WD 20G

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richtoliver

richtoliver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

I needed more space to allow me to run my taxware, so I purchased a WD 500G internal. I am using this as a slave to my old WD 20 G internal. Didn't use as a replacement as my Win XP was registered with the 20 G and didn't want to create problems. One being, there is (1) SP available for this that I haven't downloaded as of yet. Can't right now as I don't have the room for it. My problem is I was able to install the new hard drive and get it recognized as being present, but I don't know how to move files back and forth. Also when I went to install my tax software, my error message was "Not enough room". I know this is not the fact because when I look to see how much space there is , there is 465 G on it. I know there is a fix for this, but I know enough about computers to fall into the "dangerous" category.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

Best bet is to use imaging software to transfer everything over to the new drive. There will be no problems with windows doing this. Plus you will still have all of your information on the old drive for security at first. Then you will have the room you need to do whatever.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Please try to keep items related to your post in the post as other members and future readers will be able to follow the topic better.

Your message to me stated "You mentioned Imagining software. Is this already in windows as a utility or do I find it aftermarket? If the latter, do you have any suggestions? Remember, I am quite the computer ILLERATE! TIA"

Imaging software is not available as part of windows only as third party software. My personal preference is for Acronis as imaging software. There are some free utilities out there as well but I have only ever used Ghost and Acronis.
Mark Twain

#4 richtoliver

richtoliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Sorry about the last reply, new here and do terrible with reading instructions. I've been looking and found Acronis, as you mentioned. Also found Paragon ver. 9. Will do some more research and try to find the Ghost. Am I correct then that the best remedy will be to clone my old drive onto WD 500G and then remove my WD 20 G, leaving existing data on? This will give me a backup if things go south, but what is this going to do to my being able to download SP3 upgrade. Also, will it leave me out of any support on my Windows XP?

#5 David Evans

David Evans

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

What you want to do is call "cloning" whereby you transfer all of the contents of your 20GB Drive to your new 500GB drive. There are many ways to do this including the "imaging" software mentioned above.
Doing this requires a certain amount of knowledge and if this computer is important to you, and the data is important, I would suggest having the cloning done by a local computer shop that you trust.
For someone familiar with the process it wouldn't take very long ( an hour or 2 at most) and the chances of success are greater that way.
I know how to do it, but I practiced on my test computer ( an old computer I keep around that has no important stuff on it) and even then I did a few booboos here and there.

If you are comfortable with the terminology in the instructions for Acronis or Paragon, then you could give one of them a try, but be sure to back up all important information to a CD/DVD or flash drive first.

For experienced people this is not a terribly difficult chore but all the lingo and operations can be pretty boggling for a first timer.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

cloning to a new drive will not affect your support or anything else with windows. When you clone the drive you can size the new partition to the full size of the new drive and your space limits will be a thing of the past.
Mark Twain

#7 richtoliver

richtoliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Need to get instructions on how to finish up. Downloaded Macrium Reflects, installed and made a clone of C: to my F: which is 500G. Thanks for all your help. Appreciated greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users