Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I drown my ibook in coffee :-(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NikiLynn

NikiLynn

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

I spilled approximately 1/4 cup of coffee on my ibook the other day. It immediately powered down before I got a chance to do it myself :-( I took the bottom casing off, carefully wiping it down best I could. Then I set it up (like a tent, kinda) in my laundry room with the exhaust fan on all day, and over night. It appears to be dry now (this is day 2). Should I try to put it back together and power it up? Or should I wait a while longer?

And, if it's kaput, is this a valid Homeowner's claim, does anyone know? I don't have any extra computer coverage, just whatever my HO policy covers. Not sure about deductibles, etc....

TIA!

~Niki, avid coffee drinker, sad Mac User

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Did you take out the battery? Can you take out the battery? (macbook air)

Did you have suger in the coffee?

The self power down is not a good sign.

I would do a complete disassemble and rinse each piece in distilled water. Then dry, assemble and test. If you have not taken a macbook apart, look it up on the net. Some are easier than others

The coffee particles are not as dangerous as dissolved sugar but if it was from a commercial or office espresso machine there will be more tiny particles in the solution than a brewed or perked coffee.

Don't know about the homeowners. It might cover it.

#3 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

I did take out the battery. I'm scared to fully disassemble it, I might ruin it more since I know very little about computers and what not to do. It was regularly brewed coffee, but I did have liquid creamer in it, no sugar granules.

#4 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Okay, I decided I had nothing to lose, since my BIL gave me this laptop, so we're not out anything if I really fry it, LOL. I put the battery in and fired it up. Everything loaded correctly etc...

The bad news....some of the keys don't work. The delete button and the space bar don't work. The + symbol, too. Seems random, I'm wondering if it's something really internal, or maybe just the keyboard? Do each of the keys come up to clean, etc?

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

which model of macbook is it? The ones where Jobs finally started putting model numbers on them? or the ones identified by date and how many serial ports...

You can replace the keyboard pretty easily but the guys at your local mac store will do it for you for lotsa cash :blink:

(In get a lot of repair work from people who have been bent over at the mac store over something simple.)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

some of the keys don't work

Do they depress and return normally?
Possibly remove the keyboard ribbon connector and wipe it clean, plus it's board connection
Be careful when doing so. Don't force or pull hard on anything
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 NikiLynn

NikiLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Thank you all for your input. garmanma, I did exactly that, wiped down the ribbon connector with some alcohol. One of keys that wasn't working before worked then, but the others still didn't. THen my 9 year old came home, and just pressed all the keys down quite hard a few times. I started to stop him because I didn't want him to wreck anything, but then figured why not? ;-) Well, the kid knows his Macs, because everything works fine now! Maybe he's got a future in the tech biz!

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Be sure he knows the technical term for that for future invoices:

Kinetic readjustment

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Fantastic! it's great to read a success story when it comes to liquid an technology! You seldom see anything working after liquid damage.

The moral of the story:
Percussive restoration!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users