Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Messenger with Voice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Can someone tell me whether I'll lose my current Yahoo message archive if/when I download the new Yahoo Messenger with Voice?

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

I can't say for sure but I can sure say its not likely. Yahoo is notorious for leaving folders behind full of all sorts of things even if you uninstall. At any rate, just navigate to the message archive and copy it to another folder like My Documents or a new one you create.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:23 AM

Thanks, Leurgy.

I guess I'll take the chance.

I have over 200 archived convos...might take a while to save all those. :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

I have further information that indicates that you will lose those convo's when you update. Let me know if you have or haven't. If you haven't I can give you step by step instructions to save them with just a few clicks.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Leurgy for adding that information. I got hung up with work and forgot to add the information. Here's the scenario. I had only 3 or 4 archived chat logs that really didn't have much significance to me, so it was no real loss. I upgraded to the new version of Yahoo with voice and in the course of perusing all the new features I discovered ZERO archived chats, after the upgrade. I also happened to note that the default setting for chat, is delete archives at shutdown. I haven't talked with anyone else to see if this is the course for all upgrades or an isolated incident. Just FYI to those who have archives that they need to backup prior to upgrade.

Be (Yahoo) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:01 PM

Nope, haven't made the upgrade yet. Major procrastinator here. Glad I didn't...

I'm not sure I want to get the new Yahoo, 'cept for any upgraded security. But I want to save at least some of my convos if I do.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

Open Windows Explorer and find the folder where the convo's are and go to View and select Details. Now highlight the top one, hold down the Shift key and click the last one. This will select all the convo's. Right click and copy. Now go to where you want to save the convos (a new folder or My Documents, whatever) and right click again and paste. This is an easy way to move them all at once, and now you'll have a backup copy. Another way to do this is to hold down the Ctrl key and click the ones you want one at a time throughout the list. Again, after the desired ones are selected, right click and copy. Then you can paste just those ones into your backup folder.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 September 2005 - 08:23 PM.

#8 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

I wasn't sure how and where to find the convos...but...

I went to Find, typed in archive, I thought I found the right folder, titled, "Archive".

I double clicked Archive, then the folder where my convos with a particular user was stored. I'm not sure I'm at the right place. At any rate, I see the icons where (I think) the individual convos are stored, I followed your instructions on how to copy all of them, and I did, but I can't paste them. When I right click, all the options (cut, copy, paste...) are dimmed.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:47 PM

Normally, archived chats are stored as a text file (.txt) and can be opened by double clicking them. They will open in Notepad, or Wordpad if they are too big for Notepad.

Did you right click the actual folder and try to paste? If you were pasting into the My Documents folder you would right click the folder itself. It works for me.

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Normally, archived chats are stored as a text file (.txt) and can be opened by double clicking them.

So where would the archived chats most likely be? I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place. I went to Find and found a File Folder titled 'Archive'. But I'm not having any success with that.

I did right-click the folder (if it's right folder) and tried to paste to an already open WordPad document...didn't work.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

I don't have YM but the logs are most likely in C:\Program Files\Yahoo (Or Yahoo Messenger) or some such. You would open Windows Explorer and under (C:) find Program Files and click the + beside that to expand the tree and then go down to Yahoo and click the + beside that and so on.

Another way to do this is to go to Start then Find then Files and Folders and in the Named: box type in "*.txt" without the quotes and make sure you have (C:) in the Look In: box and have Include Subfolders checked. If you put your or the other persons screen name in the Containing text: box you will narrow the search, but if that doesn't find anything, clear the Containing text: box and try again.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 September 2005 - 09:57 AM.

#12 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:09 PM

Another way to do this is to go to Start then Find then Files and Folders and in the Named: box type in "*.txt" without the quotes and make sure you have (C:) in the Look In: box and have Include Subfolders checked. If you put your or the other persons screen name in the Containing text: box you will narrow the search, but if that doesn't find anything, clear the Containing text: box and try again.

I tried that out, didn't work...no results.

You would open Windows Explorer and under (C:) find Program Files and click the + beside that to expand the tree and then go down to Yahoo and click the + beside that and so on.

How do I access the (C:) folder? I'm not seeing anything expandable where I'm looking. I looked under My Computer, then (C:), Program Files, Yahoo!, Messenger. I'm not sure which icon to click under Messenger..."cache", maybe?

I'm not interested in any of the new features of Yahoo Voice. So I would keep the current messenger if I thought the security was about the same.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

I tried that out, didn't work...no results.

How do I access the (C:) folder? I'm not seeing anything expandable where I'm looking. I looked under My Computer, then (C:), Program Files, Yahoo!, Messenger. I'm not sure which icon to click under Messenger..."cache", maybe?

I'm not interested in any of the new features of Yahoo Voice. So I would keep the current messenger if I thought the security was about the same.

The way I was able to find the archives was right click the "Start Button" >Explore> Navigate down to Program Files>Yahoo>Messenger>Profiles>(Select the Yahoo ID you want, if more than one)>Archive>Messages. Highlight the messages you want and save them to the folder you want.

Be (Archive) Safe

Da Animal

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

The way I was able to find the archives was right click the "Start Button" >Explore> Navigate down to Program Files>Yahoo>Messenger>Profiles>(Select the Yahoo ID you want, if more than one)>Archive>Messages. Highlight the messages you want and save them to the folder you want.

Hey thanks, Animal. I found the messages, but I couldn't 'highlight' them. I right-clicked one message shortcut and clicked copy, but when I tried to paste to Notepad, all the options were grayed.

I tried to 'open' one of the messages, but the program there is Corel WordPerfect, and I've never used Corel...haven't used any word processor, or whatever you call 'em, for a while now actually. A message appeared about 'Convert file format' or something of that nature. I have no idea why I have to convert or what I'm converting to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users