Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Fan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

Can the fan on a PSU (specifically a Codgen 400W Model 350X) be replaced with a standard case fan? My fan is too loud for me, and I don't want or need to replace the entire PSU.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

I have replaced PSU fans with an off the shelf fan. The 2 PSU I did this with were only 250w. I suspect that in part the noise you PSU makes is the fan moving a higher volume of air. I would make sure if you used a different fan it moves the same CFM as the org PSU fan does or greater.

EDIT: Oops!! Very true Leurgy. USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN OPENNING ANY POWER SUPPLY !!
Sorry, I don't want my oversight to be your pain.

Edited by acklan, 11 September 2005 - 09:02 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:10 PM

Be VERY careful if you open your PSU. There are at least two capacitors inside a PSU that retain a high voltage charge even after the unit has been long unplugged. There is a good reason they put that warning on the label.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

Please see this link.

How to change a PSU fan

His disclaimer is a little funny...

:thumbsup:
JC

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try not to fry myself :thumbsup: .

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

Well, I've finally gotten around to changing it, but I forgot which wires do what. My psu has red and black fan wires, but my fan has (left to right) yellow, orange, and black wires. I know the blacks match, and I think the middle one is the RPM control. The page Joshuacat posted doesn't work any more, otherwise I would have found it there.

My fan also has a thermal diode. Can that be removed, or should I just leave it in the psu somewhere? I guess it would be a good idea to leave it in so it can crank up the RPMs if it gets too hot.

If I decide to go ahead with the replacement, I'll probably connect the red to the yellow and leave the diode.

EDIT: Never mind. I just checked an adapter that came with the fan, and the orange corresponds to the red.

Edited by Lanscader, 02 October 2005 - 08:48 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:26 AM

Good deal. :thumbsup:

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

Hmm...It seems my new fan doesn't move much air in my PSU (it did in my case, where I pulled it from. What are some signs of the psu overheating?

Also, there is a very high picthed whirring noise that I hear more now, and I think is coming from a hard drive. I know this is off topic, but do HDDs (especially older ones) make this noise? I have a seven-ish year old drive and a 1 year old drive, both WD.

EDIT: The new psu fan, retaining the thermal diode, just turned up its speed. I guess my psu is fine then. It turned it back down, too.

Edited by Lanscader, 02 October 2005 - 10:00 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

If you did not replace the case fan you probibly reduced you total case CFM. Your PSU fan takes air in from the grill on the back and pumps it in thru the case. This would make your case
The whine in the HD is never a good thing. Sounds like a weak bearing.
Just a note. Some fans run at different voltages. 5v and 12v.

#10 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

I checked the power consumption of the fans, both are 12v, but one is 0.11 amps and the other is 0.23. I put the old psu fan in the case (and it is quieter there), but I don't always have it on. I also have one of those Arctic Cooling NV silencers on my GPU, so that helps, but I do plan on doing something about a case fan. Maybe find a REALLY quiet one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users