Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee posted an error, Yahoo! links redirect.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alkalinedit

alkalinedit

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

A day or two ago, McAfee popped up in the corner of my screen and said my computer was not fully protected, and it told me to click on the balloon to fix the problem -- it does this occasionally, so I double-click on the balloon and click 'Fix.' Usually McAfee rights itself and everything is just fine, almost as if McAfee is just trying to remind me it's there for me to use. I have been very good about running full system scans once a month or more often, with McAfee and SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, just to be safe. Typically, nothing is found, and if something is I command these programs to take care of the problem. Then, all is fine until I run scans again.

This time, however, I opened McAfee and it alerted me that 'Computer & Files' needed attention, and that a full system scan had not been performed in more than 30 days. When I clicked 'Fix,' it seemed to try to fix the problem by beginning a scan, but then nothing popped up and the glaring warning remained.

Admittedly, in the last few weeks, I have either been writing or fiddling around on the Web, or doing something with iTunes or whatever, and noticed the computer was slow because McAfee was trying to perform a full system scan, and subsequently canceled the scan to speed up performance. I know this isn't smart and this is probably why I'm here now.

Yesterday I noticed that when I typed something in Yahoo's search engine and then clicked on a link, I was redirected to a completely unrelated web page. I found this to be very random, but clicking on the link again brought me to where I wanted to be, so I didn't think much of it. However, I've noticed this problem occurring more often, to the point that every time I click on a link provided by Yahoo (I don't use Google, Yahoo is my home page), this happens.

For instance, tonight I typed in "Yahoo links keep redirecting me" to see if I could find an answer, and when I clicked on the link, I was redirected to Yahoo's job classifieds website. I've read the various posts here on browser redirection but found no explanations that seemed to fit my problem.

I also noticed that while said redirection was loading, at the bottom left of my browser, the little blip that shows what the browser is currently doing, like "connecting to/waiting for... Yahoo/Facebook/Youtube/etc..." would not be the typical "www" address, but instead an address that contained numbers in the "www" part -- which would lead me to the redirected webpage.

Example:

Just now I typed 2009 Nissan Versa into Yahoo's search engine and was provided with a McAfee trusted link, which I clicked. The browser seemed to load as if it were taking me to the official Nissan site as described by said link. However, instead of taking me to 'www.nissanusa.com' the information that popped up in the bottom left of my browser suddenly said '3cm.nissanusa.com' and I was taken to a website about catalogs, which is totally random.

I have no idea if the incident with McAfee and my browser's schizophrenia is related, but I have a feeling it is. The only way I can get to a website is to put it Firefox's actual address bar. This is how I usually get anywhere, besides using my bookmarks, but trying to find petty answers using Yahoo has become fruitless.

Like I said, yesterday I performed a MalwareBytes full system scan, and a SuperAntiSpyware quick scan. However, when I opened SuperAntiSpyware, it told me to check for updates like it usually does, but it said it couldn't connect to the server to receive those updates (and to make sure my firewall wasn't blocing the application), and I know my internet connection is just fine. I'm worried that something has corrupted the program's ability to receive updates, if that's even possible. I really like the program, but if I can't get updates, the program can't protect me against the newest spyware out there.

In addition to all this, my computer just doesn't seem to be running as fast as it usually does. I've had it for three years, but I think it's remarkably fast still, so I can notice when something is bogging it down. I don't like to load it with a bunch of memory-eating programs -- the majority of my computer use is Firefox and Microsoft Word. This kind of problem scares me because most of my writing is done on my computer, and I have huge fears of viruses hacking it, because it matters to me most.

I've posted on here before because my computer acquired a Trojan, and this site and its staff helped immensely. I really appreciate what you guys are doing here, and I've since recommended this site to my friends if they get computer problems. I also appreciate that you guys are still here for dorks like me who have to come back! :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's what I'm running, if it helps.
- Windows XP Professional SP3
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5.8
- McAfee SecurityCenter 9.15
- SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware 1.35

I'd like to get this issue resolved so that when I perform a complete system backup, I know I don't have any crap on my system that could compromise that.

Thanks!
Kati

PS - I hope this is in the right place and that I provided enough info. If not, let me know.
Bad people are punished by society's law; good people are punished by Murphy's Law -- Dead Like Me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users