Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death - Please help me.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mikec84

mikec84

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

My computer crashes at random and the Blue Screens say MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 90% of the time, and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA about 10%.

There absolutely seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing, when, or where. It may do it as soon as windows loads, maybe after playing a game several hours, when I have multiple apps running, or none. This is so frustrating.

I built my PC myself. I don't know much more than how to physically put the parts together.

I recently bought a new MOBO because I went through the previous one I had twice, and decided I needed to give another brand a chance.

When I did this, I bought a new Hard Drive, Installed Windows 7 Premium, transfered some important files from the 2 other Hard Drives I had before, then formatted both old Hard Drives and removed 1 of them.

PLEASE tell me what I need to do/tell you so you can help me.

Thanks!
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

Try using your memory one module at a time
You might want to test your memory:
http://www.memtest.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

I downloaded the test software, pulled out the second module, and designated one "A" and the other "B" (Since they are exactly the same)

I'm not sure what to expect from running the test on each stick, but what I can tell you is it appears the test didn't complete fully on either one. I hope the following information is helpful...

Stick "A" stopped for hours before I finally rebooted and ran the test on "B" with the following information stuck on the screen-

Pass: 41%
Test: 58%
Test #6 [Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern]
Testing: 176k - 1024M 1023M
Pattern: 00800000

Wall time: 00:08:50

The pass and fail lines near Wall time both read 0

-----------------------------

Stick "B" stopped for about 45 minutes and then I rebooted because it seemed as if it wasn't going to respond anymore just like "A" did, here is that info-

Pass: 23%
Test: 34%
Test #5 [Block Move, 80 Moves]
Testing: 176k - 1024M 1023M
Pattern: (this was blank)

Wall time: 00:03:59

The pass and fail lines near Wall time both read 0 as before

-----------------------------

There was no indication from the software it was completed or failed, the red "+" sign near the name of the program stayed flashing during each run even when it seemed as though it froze, so I don't think it did actually freeze. Maybe I wasn't patient enough and I should have let it run longer, but after literally at least 2 hours for the first stick I didn't know how much longer to wait.

I booted Windows 7 both times on each stick successfully, played a high def video from YouTube, and shortly played a game. Everything was noticeably slower by a certain degree, but the computer seems to run fine. The bad thing is that I have no idea how to recreate the crash, it just happens at random. I will continue to run Windows on each stick separately for extended periods of time until I get more input on this, and see if it crashes again and on witch stick or both.

Thanks!
Mike

Edited by mikec84, 11 March 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#4 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

The computer crashed today on both modules separately. Module "A" stated MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. "B" Stated PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I left "B" in first since it was the last I ran the test on, don't know if that helps at all, just trying to give as much info as possible.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Could be indicative of heat.

WHat kind of computer is this?

#6 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

I built it myself, here is what I have...

Case: PowerUp AK-18 ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports
MPN: TC3J-4503

MOBO: ASUS P5QPL-AM

Processor: Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor
MPN: HH80551PG0802MN

Memory: OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gamer Memory (2 x 1024MB)
MPN: OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7900 GS KO / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card
MPN: 256-P2-N624-AR

Hard Drive 1: ST3500418AS Connected Via SATA
Hard Drive 2: WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 Connected Via IDE

DVD Burner: ATAPI iHAS324

Sound and networking are onboard.

------------------------------------------

As far as overheating, I don't think that could be the issue. Although this isn't quite scientific, the fan I have has an auto speed setting and it does go into high sometimes, but it just doesn't seem like there is any correlation. As previously stated, it may crash when the computer is idle. :huh:

I thank you guys for all the assistance and hope to keep getting feedback about this. In the meantime, I have upgraded my bios. I don't know if this is being too proactive, but I will continue to monitor the crashes and see if it helps at all while waiting for a response.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Can you post pictures of your case with the side panel off?

#8 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

I don't have a digital camera, but i will def figure out some way to do that, i might have to use a cell phone or web cam, but i will post one as soon as possible. probably mid day tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Mike

#9 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Here are the requested pictures, I hope this helps! Sorry for the delay.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/mic...axton/COMPUTER/

Thanks!
Mike

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Your CPU Heatsink is caked with dirt. You need to clean it.

#11 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

I spent all last night cleaning the entire computer, especially the CPU heatsink. I will continue to monitor crashes, just let me know what to do next!

Thanks!
Mike

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

The cleaning will give us an idea that hardware is out of the question as far as heat is concerned.

#13 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I'd have to say it seems like it is doing it less, I don't have a regular amount of time I spend on my computer though, so its hard to say if I have just been using the computer less. The same errors still show when it does crash, and 3 of the last 5 times were very early in the morning like at 3:00 am and 1:00 am (times I was not on), etc. Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

Edited by mikec84, 17 March 2010 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users