Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all browsers under hijack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 panthersgold

panthersgold

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hello there

I've been trying to get a very nasty piece of work(s) off my machine with questionable success. There seems to be more than one thing going on. All browsers are showing hijack behavior, even when deleted and reinstalled (this includes (IE, firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari). Additionally, I have / had the "XP internet security" fake software launching on my machine. Thus far, I have run combofix, superantispyware (full system scan) and Malwarebytes (full system scan). I am not sure (in fact am not too condifent) that this has really got rid of the XP internet secuurity malware, and it DEFINITELY has not got rid of the browser hijacking, which is still happening. In fact, it was extremely difficult even to make it to this page.

Another thing I noticed is that the audio was not working properly. It seemed that when I clicked on the audio icon in control panel (to try to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound) this is what launched the "XP internet security" software. I tried repeating that behavior after running the above security programs. SO far it hasn't reappeared, but I'm not too convinced that it has gone.

Summary:

1) all browsers showing hijack behavior...difficult tending towards impossible even to get to websites such as this or for downloading security files
2) XP internet security malware ... seemed associated with audio function, and may be elsewhere too.

Looking for help. Many thanks. If all else fails, I should be able to work on another computer to follow instructions.

Running Windows XP

Edited by panthersgold, 09 March 2010 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users