Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

broken computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xini

xini

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

hi. I do apologise if this is the wrong forum but can't see anything pertaining to my problem elsewhere.

Recently I moved house, the PC (previously in perfect working order) had a few teething problems but nothing major. We did have to reinstall sound card software and that sort of thing. I reckon it must have been bashed around a bit on the long journey from the north of the country to the south! The modem stopped working, tho that problem may well be due to a dodgy phone line rather than a dodgy modem.

Then it stopped reading discs, so today we bought a new CD reader - whatever the technical name for that is. When we installed it and turned on the computer, it wouldn't boot up, saying only that the operating system could not be found.

I have tried taking off the side, making sure everything's plugged in securely. No luck. I'm reluctant to reinstall windows and lose all my stuff but will do it if I have to.

Is that what's required? Or is it worth just buying a whole new system? i'm no expert, this PC was given to me by my ex (who was an expert in such matters so it was half decent at least) but my friend reckons it won't last too much longer. I don't know why. He also thinks it would cost more to pay someone to come and have a look, than it would to buy a new one.

Your advice would be invaluable!!

Many thanks
xini

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to BC inix

First check and see if you installed the CD-rom on the same cable as the hard drive. If you did make sure the CD is set to slave. By default it is set to Master. The pins to the left of the drive cable should have a small cap bridging two pins. There should be a diagram on top of the drive showing you which pins to use. It is usually the middle two that are the Slave setting.

Second make sure the grey drive cable is connected correctly. There will be a red dottied or strip on the edge of the cable. Plug in the cable with the red nearest to the power plug. Chances are the cable plug is keyed and will only go in one way but if it is an older cheap cable it may not be. If it is on the same cable as the hard drive leave it on Master and move it to the second grey cable if you can.

Third when your computer boots go into the BIOS and see if the computer is reconizing the CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users