Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overwhelmed by autoruns!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yukmouf

yukmouf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

I've gradually noticed the decrease in performance of my computer. I kinda had the feeling that it was taken over by background programs. Needless to say I ran Autoruns and the list is impressive. Where can I get help with cleaning this up? I've done a few that I know of and I've gone through the startup list to find as many as I could but I think I could do a lot more than I have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

My first suggestion...do not look at the overall list, focus on the Logon tab (where typical startup items are). The overall list generated includes Windows files, drivers, etc...anything that begins at startup.

If you come across items that you are uncertain about what programs they are associated with...use Google to look it up. The reason I prefer Google to some listing of startups...the proliferation of malware that copies the names of legitimate files. A given filename means little today...unless it is viewed in context with typical file size and expected location/path for said file. That info may be reflected in the database of startups, but it will definitely be reflected if you use Google and look at a couple of entries about a given file that is ostensibly "a valid startup item."

You can also use Startup Programs Database - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users