Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I check mainboard is ok?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Recently my laptop has slowed down a lot, and there is also another big problem that it can not charge up a battery. Since my one-year-old battery would not charge any more, I bought a new battery from Dell and the first time I tried to charge it, it would not go higher than 19%. Later, it would not charge at all, went down to 0%. As I look around on the internet about problems like these, it seems like one possible reason is the mainboard, so I want to see if I can check mine out to see if it is ok or not. But I don't know how to do that.

Here are the computer's specs:

Dell Inspiron 1521
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

PROCESSOR
800 megahertz AMD Turion 64 X2
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD
Board: Dell Inc. 0GU163
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

MEMORY
1918 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

DISPLAY
ATI Radeon X1270 [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (15.4")

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

Let me start you off with some manuals for your Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop, look through the downloadable manuals as these might help you discover your problem.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...21/en/index.htm

Being that you'll be on the main support page for your laptop, you will find all the info that will help you, because this page also includes a complete Service Manual which is a rareity! :thumbsup:

Post back and let us know if these documents have help solve your problems.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 March 2010 - 12:33 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

A problem I have is that I don't know what or how to check for this particular problem. I'm looking in the Owners Manual and also the Service Manual, and the only thing I can find that MIGHT be what I'm after is the Diagnostics Tool. The documentation for the Diagnostics Tool only says that there are tests and subtests but doesn't say anything about what it tests, or how to interpret the tests. So I could run it in the hope that it is set up to identify the battery charging problem, but I'm in the dark because the documentation doesn't give me any details about the test itself.

In the rest of the documentation, for example the Troubleshooting section on Power problems, it only gives very general directions like try pressing the test button on the battery, check the AC adapter, etc.

For a symptom such as this (a brand new battery will not charge), I guess the possible reasons are most likely:

1. AC adapter
2. mainboard

Are there other possible causes?

Even if there are, at least I'd like to check for these 2. But I have no idea how to.

I don't want to go run this Diagnostics Tool if it's not going to be able to positively identify problems that exist in those 2 areas.

Thanks!

Edited by Billermo, 10 March 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Does your AC adapter also power the laptop, or is there a different setup for that?

You might also check to make sure the contacts that make contact with the battery are not corroded. I might be wrong about this part as I'm not sure as to how the battery makes a physical connection. e.g. does it have a wired plug or does it make contact with metal strips?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Yes the AC adapter can also power the laptop... I mean if the battery has no charge, then the AC adapter gets used, and the laptop needs to be plugged in.

There isn't any corrosion or other problems at any point on the AC adapter or the battery. The AC adapter's light is on.

Actually the laptop is really noisy and extremely slow today, while running on AC.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

If the adapter is powering the laptop, then it should also be capable of charging the battery.

I know there is a circuit that checks the status of the battery and allows current to flow to it for charging, once this need is satisfied, the circuit opens and stops the flow.

This used to be done using transisters and diodes, but these days it can be built into an IC chip.

Seriously, unless you know a lot about electronics theory, this might be a repair left to a qualified technician.

There is no way I can assist you unless you understand the above mentioned theory.

#7 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

So if I understand you, it sounds like from what we know, this is almost surely something that a technician must repair.

I have no idea what an IC chip is.

But does this sound like it must be wiring and/or mainboard related then?

It couldn't be a Windows issue, could it? (I'm on SP1 when it should be on SP2 now)

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users