Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy drive will not work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 namagodai

namagodai

• Deactivated
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

My floppy drive will not read or format any floppy disks. It keeps saying that windows was unable to format the disk. And when I insert a floppy disk that has data on it, it asks me to format it first. On my device manager, the floppy drive is a standard floppy drive. What do I have to do to make my floppy drive read disks that already has data on it. I do not want to format it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

very likely the floppy drive has 'died' and needs replacing, they are cheap and easy to fit, just connect new one same as old one - no slave or master jumpers to worry about with these. Before changing it, just check that none of the connecting leads at the back of the drive have come loose at the drive end and at the mobo end. -- if they have, push them back in and try it again. Still no good?-- get a cleaning floppy-disk from a PC shop and try using that a couple of times (the read/write heads may be very dirty and just need cleaning). still no go? -- definitely needs changing for a new one. one last thing to check -- if you've been messing inside your PC recently, check that the floppy drive's flat ribbon cable is the right way round 'cos it is possible to get it wrong. Connect the data cable so the red stripe (sometimes it's blue) is nearest to the power jack on the drive.

Edited by pip22, 11 September 2005 - 02:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users